independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince with a cold?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/28/16 7:14pm

1958PRN

Prince with a cold?

So I've been watching a lot of Prince videos and reading stuff about the shows lately on the org. From what I've seen and read, Prince had been pretty lucky regarding mess ups, such as, falls, forgetting lyrics, and sound problems. Though I know he has had more than a few of those lol. lol love2

Though I love these wonderful shows/appearances, they all seem so perfect. I mean, has he ever performed with a cold or coughed or sneezed on stage, during a song, in an interview, etc.? I have read/listened to the 1993 DNA Lounge where he had laryngitis, the coughing in Raspberry Beret, and the Demaris Lewis interview where he said he had a cold, but that's all I've seen/heard.

Btw, I can't believe I'm asking this question, but having seen other celebrities and being a fan of a few other musical legends including Prince; Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley. I've always loved the "human" side of the person than the "private/public image" of their persona on and off stage. So I guess that's why this question has randomly crossed my mind... rolleyes

or I'm just bored out of my mind right now... bored hmmm

Probably both lol... smile innocent


[Edited 6/28/16 19:24pm]

[Edited 8/11/16 10:08am]

[Edited 8/11/16 10:10am]

[Edited 8/11/16 10:12am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/28/16 7:18pm

eightiesbrat

in a 1999 interview with Matt Lauer on The Today Show he was under the weather, think he said laryngitis

We all want the stuff that's found in our wildest dreams. . .
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/28/16 7:27pm

1958PRN

eightiesbrat, yes, I remember watching that interview also. Thank you! smile

Can you remember anymore?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/28/16 7:30pm

eightiesbrat

1958PRN said:

eightiesbrat, yes, I remember watching that interview also. Thank you! smile

Can you remember anymore?

Not any others off the top of my head, but I'm slowly working my way through YT haha. So many videos, I just keep watching and watching, if I find another I'll post here smile

We all want the stuff that's found in our wildest dreams. . .
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/28/16 7:53pm

1958PRN

eightiesbrat said:

1958PRN said:

eightiesbrat, yes, I remember watching that interview also. Thank you! smile

Can you remember anymore?

Not any others off the top of my head, but I'm slowly working my way through YT haha. So many videos, I just keep watching and watching, if I find another I'll post here smile

Thank you! smile

& this is just a guess. But I watched his 2014 concert in Paris Zénith France earlier today and I think he might have sneezed towards the end during Cool. I think it was like around 20:00? Regardless though, that whole song was amazing! I could not stop smiling. His dancing and the looks he gave the audience were so funny! Omgosh, love him. love biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/28/16 7:55pm

cindyt

1958PRN said:

eightiesbrat said:

Not any others off the top of my head, but I'm slowly working my way through YT haha. So many videos, I just keep watching and watching, if I find another I'll post here smile

Thank you! smile

& this is just a guess. But I watched his 2014 concert in Paris Zénith France earlier today and I think he might have sneezed towards the end during Cool. I think it was like around 20:00? Regardless though, that whole song was amazing! I could not stop smiling. His dancing and the looks he gave the audience were so funny! Omgosh, love him. love biggrin

there's nothing on youtube what r u talking about

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/28/16 7:58pm

breakdown2k14

avatar

I believe he said he a cold when he appeared the MTV show "TRL".
There's Joy in repetition
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/28/16 8:02pm

eightiesbrat

1958PRN said:

eightiesbrat said:

Not any others off the top of my head, but I'm slowly working my way through YT haha. So many videos, I just keep watching and watching, if I find another I'll post here smile

Thank you! smile

& this is just a guess. But I watched his 2014 concert in Paris Zénith France earlier today and I think he might have sneezed towards the end during Cool. I think it was like around 20:00? Regardless though, that whole song was amazing! I could not stop smiling. His dancing and the looks he gave the audience were so funny! Omgosh, love him. love biggrin

Will watch this one again! I know, as if the music and dancing weren't enough. . his faces! omg his faces and looks he gives. Too much. He was such a trip.

We all want the stuff that's found in our wildest dreams. . .
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/28/16 8:22pm

1958PRN

breakdown2k14 said:

I believe he said he a cold when he appeared the MTV show "TRL".

Do you know what year this was?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/28/16 9:10pm

RJOrion

let some media outlets tell it, he'd been performing with all kinds of AIDS and Flu's and shit...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/28/16 10:04pm

FunkiestOne

avatar

He performed with a cold a bunch of times. The 1993 DNA Lounge show is one and then there was a Purple Rain show where he mentions it during the show. I think it was late Dec show but I can't remember for sure.

But he said something like "I'm a bit under the weather, but I'll do my best if you do your best"...something like that but I don't remember the exact quote.

[Edited 6/28/16 22:05pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/28/16 11:38pm

breakdown2k14

avatar

1958PRN said:



breakdown2k14 said:


I believe he said he a cold when he appeared the MTV show "TRL".

Do you know what year this was?


1999.it was awkward interview .I could tell Prince didn't want to be there but he was there to promote the Rave album.I remember him giving away free stuff to the audience during the TRL show, which was very cool
[Edited 6/28/16 23:40pm]
There's Joy in repetition
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/28/16 11:50pm

PeteSilas

he had a cold at the time of the 1991 rs interview, he mentioned it. If you're vocal chords are in condition it can be done, the falsetto would be the most affected though. I heard he actually waited until he had a cold to record so blue on his first album because he wanted to sound sick. Depends on what you are performing and the demands of it regarding how much it would hurt your performance.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/29/16 3:38am

laurarichardso
n

RJOrion said:

let some media outlets tell it, he'd been performing with all kinds of AIDS and Flu's and shit...


--- Yes, he had full blown AIDS and worked at the pace he did and was productive the whole time instead of being in the hospital with tubes coming out of you.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/29/16 8:46am

laytonian


I just watched that 21 minute video of the 2014 Paris concer.

He was super-thin, almost scary!
Notice how he was almost completely covered up by that bulky cloak.

His arms are like sticks inside that knit shirt.

Yes, he sneezed. And it looked like, at the end, he was glaring at people trying to film him.

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/29/16 8:50am

Bunsterdk

laytonian said:


And it looked like, at the end, he was glaring at people trying to film him.



He really found that annoying. He wanted people to experience and enjoy the moment. It doesn't mean there was anything wrong with him that day. smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/29/16 8:59am

1958PRN

PeteSilas said:

he had a cold at the time of the 1991 rs interview, he mentioned it. If you're vocal chords are in condition it can be done, the falsetto would be the most affected though. I heard he actually waited until he had a cold to record so blue on his first album because he wanted to sound sick. Depends on what you are performing and the demands of it regarding how much it would hurt your performance.



Thank you so much for this! But what does rs stand for? Haha & is this interview in print or is it circulating?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/29/16 11:30am

1958PRN

FunkiestOne said:

He performed with a cold a bunch of times. The 1993 DNA Lounge show is one and then there was a Purple Rain show where he mentions it during the show. I think it was late Dec show but I can't remember for sure.

But he said something like "I'm a bit under the weather, but I'll do my best if you do your best"...something like that but I don't remember the exact quote.

[Edited 6/28/16 22:05pm]

Do you remember where you saw or heard this show? (meaning the source: youtube, dvd, cd, etc) I've been searching for it and cannot find it anywhere. sad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/29/16 12:07pm

PeteSilas

1958PRN said:

PeteSilas said:

he had a cold at the time of the 1991 rs interview, he mentioned it. If you're vocal chords are in condition it can be done, the falsetto would be the most affected though. I heard he actually waited until he had a cold to record so blue on his first album because he wanted to sound sick. Depends on what you are performing and the demands of it regarding how much it would hurt your performance.

Thank you so much for this! But what does rs stand for? Haha & is this interview in print or is it circulating?

rolling stone, duhhhh, just kidding.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/29/16 12:49pm

1958PRN

PeteSilas said:

1958PRN said:

PeteSilas said: Thank you so much for this! But what does rs stand for? Haha & is this interview in print or is it circulating?

rolling stone, duhhhh, just kidding.

LOL, I figured that out after I sent it, but thanks! haha smile

Are you sure it's 1991? Could you provide a link to please?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/29/16 1:10pm

PeteSilas

1958PRN said:



PeteSilas said:




1958PRN said:


PeteSilas said: Thank you so much for this! But what does rs stand for? Haha & is this interview in print or is it circulating?

rolling stone, duhhhh, just kidding.



LOL, I figured that out after I sent it, but thanks! haha smile


Are you sure it's 1991? Could you
provide a link to please?


It may have been 92 just look for Neal karlen interview
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/29/16 1:53pm

1958PRN

PeteSilas said:

1958PRN said:

LOL, I figured that out after I sent it, but thanks! haha smile

Are you sure it's 1991? Could you provide a link to please?

It may have been 92 just look for Neal karlen interview

Thank you, I found it! It was 1990. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/29/16 3:48pm

PeteSilas

1958PRN said:

PeteSilas said:

1958PRN said: It may have been 92 just look for Neal karlen interview

Thank you, I found it! It was 1990. smile

oh sorry, i have it somewhere. I still remember the part where someone said "it's raining" and Prince repeated it while he was sucking on some kind of lozenge or something. why are you so curious about this?

[Edited 6/29/16 15:48pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/29/16 4:37pm

1958PRN

PeteSilas said:



1958PRN said:




PeteSilas said:


1958PRN said: It may have been 92 just look for Neal karlen interview

Thank you, I found it! It was 1990. smile



oh sorry, i have it somewhere. I still remember the part where someone said "it's raining" and Prince repeated it while he was sucking on some kind of lozenge or something. why are you so curious about this?

[Edited 6/29/16 15:48pm]


The reason is in my post. Basically, just random thinking. Idk haha. smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince with a cold?