independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 24th May 2019 4:08am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Love for 'Take Me With U'
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/27/19 6:46am

sulls

avatar

Love for 'Take Me With U'

Today in 1984, Prince recorded this gem. Really a gorgeous, sugary-sweet little song, especially with the unedited ending. I feel it's quite underrated. Thoughts?

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/27/19 8:07am

kingricefan

For me this is the worst song on the album due to Apollonia's singing (whining) throughout the song. The music is of course excellant as is Prince's vocals but I just can't handle A's voice. Wish we had had the version with Vanity.....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/27/19 8:21am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

kingricefan said:

For me this is the worst song on the album due to Apollonia's singing (whining) throughout the song. The music is of course excellant as is Prince's vocals but I just can't handle A's voice. Wish we had had the version with Vanity.....


Agreed.

It's the weakest track on Purple Rain. And Apples could not sing that song.

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/27/19 8:29am

soladeo1

Weird fact I learned from Duanne’s book...

Prince spent an enormous amount of time on this track. Like 3 weeks. Something he rarely ever did.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/27/19 9:12am

pinkcashmere23

It's always been a favorite of mine but I prefer live performances of it. I love the one for the official video with the amazing guitar solo at the end.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/27/19 9:18am

feeluupp

avatar

Imagine if this song was replaced by We Can Fuck or G-Spot... lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/27/19 10:29am

rogifan

luv4u said:



kingricefan said:


For me this is the worst song on the album due to Apollonia's singing (whining) throughout the song. The music is of course excellant as is Prince's vocals but I just can't handle A's voice. Wish we had had the version with Vanity.....




Agreed.

It's the weakest track on Purple Rain. And Apples could not sing that song.


Huh. As a kid it was my favorite song from the album. Obviously Prince liked it as he was still singing it live until the very end.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/27/19 10:30am

rogifan

pinkcashmere23 said:

It's always been a favorite of mine but I prefer live performances of it. I love the one for the official video with the amazing guitar solo at the end.


Yeah it was the perfect 80s rock guitar solo. biggrin
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/27/19 12:21pm

pinkcashmere23

rogifan said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

It's always been a favorite of mine but I prefer live performances of it. I love the one for the official video with the amazing guitar solo at the end.

Yeah it was the perfect 80s rock guitar solo. biggrin

Yes! smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/27/19 12:47pm

ChickenMcNugge
ts

avatar

It's my most-played Prince song on last.fm. So I love it, obviously. A little sugary by Prince standards, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of sugar. Plus, I seem to be one of the few people who actually kinda like Apollonia's voice.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/27/19 6:55pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

ChickenMcNuggets said:

It's my most-played Prince song on last.fm. So I love it, obviously. A little sugary by Prince standards, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of sugar. Plus, I seem to be one of the few people who actually kinda like Apollonia's voice.

I don't mind it either smile, however, that "woo hoo hoo!" by her toward the end shake lol. May not b the best song on the album (Purple Rain, I know, I know wave), but it's a bomb ass album as is lock. Wonderful tune touched.

I'm fuckin Goldilocks up in the forest, in the 3 bear house, eatin they motherfuckin porridge music.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/28/19 12:39am

iZsaZsa

avatar

purplepolitician said:

ChickenMcNuggets said:

It's my most-played Prince song on last.fm. So I love it, obviously. A little sugary by Prince standards, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of sugar. Plus, I seem to be one of the few people who actually kinda like Apollonia's voice.

I don't mind it either smile, however, that "woo hoo hoo!" by her toward the end shake lol. May not b the best song on the album (Purple Rain, I know, I know wave), but it's a bomb ass album as is lock. Wonderful tune touched.

Soul. lol

What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/28/19 12:56am

KoolEaze

avatar

rogifan said:

luv4u said:


Agreed.

It's the weakest track on Purple Rain. And Apples could not sing that song.

Huh. As a kid it was my favorite song from the album. Obviously Prince liked it as he was still singing it live until the very end.

I love that song. I love its lyrics, love the melody and the romantic, innocent vibe it has. I love the song so much that I don´t even notice Apollonia´s weak vocals. When I was a kid this was one of my favorite songs on the Purple Rain album.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/28/19 1:30am

thedance

avatar

worship Take Me With U.... a wonderful + perfect song... nod



Yes, what a wonderful track kind of the Beatles sound on this song, very psycadelic imho...


Right... I LOVE all songs on the Purple Rain soundtrack.


Not 1 bad note there - imo....


The sound of Beatles psycadelica was continued the year later, on Around The World In A Day...


Masterpieces 1982 to 1988... those 2 mentioned - were both brilliant to the maximum 10/10: heart cloud9

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/28/19 1:32am

thedance

avatar

^ Take Me With U = the Beatles sound of 1967 / Sgt Pepper.. love

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/28/19 5:20am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

I came on board with Purple Rain (gimme a break, I was thirteen in '84), so I always kinda took this song for granted; especially considering the two songs it was sandwiched between. But in later years, I've often wondered how it was experienced by the fans who'd been with him from the beginning, because sonically, there's just absolutely nothing like it in the Prince catalogue up to that point. Must have been mind-blowing.

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/28/19 5:32am

sulls

avatar

eyewishuheaven said:

I came on board with Purple Rain (gimme a break, I was thirteen in '84), so I always kinda took this song for granted; especially considering the two songs it was sandwiched between. But in later years, I've often wondered how it was experienced by the fans who'd been with him from the beginning, because sonically, there's just absolutely nothing like it in the Prince catalogue up to that point. Must have been mind-blowing.

I like your observation. The Purple Rain album was certainly a different animal and accessible to the masses. There's something on there for everybody. Hopefully those who became fans with For You will offer their thoughts.

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/28/19 6:00am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

I don't see how that song is 'weak'. It is supposed to have a 'whimsical' feel to it which Apollonia's weak vocals sorta gives.

I don't think they even come off as 'bad' no she isn't a SINGER. But it translated. I love the song.

I don't think anyone in 1984 was saying 'oh my god that is a weak song by Prince standards' or measuring Apollonia's singing skills. I did not notice because the song is very good. Manic Monday should have been it's B side.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/28/19 6:16am

RodeoSchro

avatar

LOVE IT. My favorite Prince song ever. First song I learned on guitar. It was a perfect song when he wrote it, and then it became more perfect when he changed the bridge.

This has to be one of the most-played songs live. I'm sure Prince played "Purple Rain" more than any other song but "Take Me With U" has to be in the top five. It's obvious Prince loved this song, and so do I.

If you ever get the chance, find the July 18, 2010 Aldeia do Meco, Portugal show. It's one of the best performances of "Take Me With U" I've ever heard. Prince throws in a one-time-only riff after the "I don't care if we spend the night on the town" line that is mind-blowing. It's just perfect.

BONUS - the next song performed at that show is "Guitar" and it is the greatest performance of any song I have ever seen Prince do. You owe it to yourself to find that video and watch it, especially the final guitar solo.

(Standard disclaimer - I will fight you if you say that "RockNRollLoveAffair" is a remake of "Take Me With U".)

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/28/19 6:56am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

I like that extra musical piece from the unedited outtake

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/28/19 7:14am

KoolEaze

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

LOVE IT. My favorite Prince song ever. First song I learned on guitar. It was a perfect song when he wrote it, and then it became more perfect when he changed the bridge.

This has to be one of the most-played songs live. I'm sure Prince played "Purple Rain" more than any other song but "Take Me With U" has to be in the top five. It's obvious Prince loved this song, and so do I.

If you ever get the chance, find the July 18, 2010 Aldeia do Meco, Portugal show. It's one of the best performances of "Take Me With U" I've ever heard. Prince throws in a one-time-only riff after the "I don't care if we spend the night on the town" line that is mind-blowing. It's just perfect.

BONUS - the next song performed at that show is "Guitar" and it is the greatest performance of any song I have ever seen Prince do. You owe it to yourself to find that video and watch it, especially the final guitar solo.

(Standard disclaimer - I will fight you if you say that "RockNRollLoveAffair" is a remake of "Take Me With U".)

Looked it up but couldn´t find the Aldeia do Meco version you mentioned.

The Houston 1985 version (the live version for the promo video) is nice, too.

Were you there during that show?

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/28/19 7:26am

sulls

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

I like that extra musical piece from the unedited outtake

yeahthat Shame that version was not included in Purple Rain Deluxe. I ache for it to be released/leaked in best studio quality.

[Edited 1/28/19 7:42am]

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/28/19 7:44am

RodeoSchro

avatar

KoolEaze said:

RodeoSchro said:

LOVE IT. My favorite Prince song ever. First song I learned on guitar. It was a perfect song when he wrote it, and then it became more perfect when he changed the bridge.

This has to be one of the most-played songs live. I'm sure Prince played "Purple Rain" more than any other song but "Take Me With U" has to be in the top five. It's obvious Prince loved this song, and so do I.

If you ever get the chance, find the July 18, 2010 Aldeia do Meco, Portugal show. It's one of the best performances of "Take Me With U" I've ever heard. Prince throws in a one-time-only riff after the "I don't care if we spend the night on the town" line that is mind-blowing. It's just perfect.

BONUS - the next song performed at that show is "Guitar" and it is the greatest performance of any song I have ever seen Prince do. You owe it to yourself to find that video and watch it, especially the final guitar solo.

(Standard disclaimer - I will fight you if you say that "RockNRollLoveAffair" is a remake of "Take Me With U".)

Looked it up but couldn´t find the Aldeia do Meco version you mentioned.

The Houston 1985 version (the live version for the promo video) is nice, too.

Were you there during that show?



Yes, I was there. Prince did 6 shows in Houston and I was at 3 of them, so there's a 50/50 chance I'm in the crowd, LOL.

The Portugal show turns up every now and then on YouTube. I am so thankful I grabbed it the last time I saw it. That's one of the best shows top-to-bottom that I've seen.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/28/19 8:43am

kingricefan

I like the live versions also because the duet aspect of it is gone (unless you count the crowd singing along with P).

pinkcashmere23 said:

It's always been a favorite of mine but I prefer live performances of it. I love the one for the official video with the amazing guitar solo at the end.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/28/19 10:08am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

sulls said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

I like that extra musical piece from the unedited outtake

yeahthat Shame that version was not included in Purple Rain Deluxe. I ache for it to be released/leaked in best studio quality.

[Edited 1/28/19 7:42am]

15 seconds of purple sparkle

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/28/19 1:51pm

TheFman

It's the only song i still actively play from that album since a long time...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/28/19 2:14pm

BEAUGARDE

Love the song & the whole album, the movie, the coda from the movie, the video & Apollonia does not ruin the song period

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/28/19 6:57pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

The song is a must and perfectly exhibits the blend of the metal leather and flash of the Kid and Apollonia and the beauty of nature that they are riding through

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/28/19 8:50pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

BEAUGARDE said:

Love the song & the whole album, the movie, the coda from the movie, the video & Apollonia does not ruin the song period

thumbs up! cloud9

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/29/19 6:07am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

The addition of the strings by David Novi & Suzi worked magic on this song

The bolded part rhythm and melody is ever so wonderful

Image result for Take Me With U Prince and the Revolution single

I can't disguise the pounding of my heart
It beats so strong
It's in your eyes, what can I say
They turn me on
I don't care where we go
I don't care what we do
I don't care pretty baby
Just take me with you
Come on and touch the place in me
That's calling out your name
We want each other oh so much
Why must we play this game?
I don't care where we go
I don't care what we do
I don't care pretty baby
Just take me with you
I don't care if we spend the night at your mansion
I don't care if we spend the night on the town
All I want is to spend the night together
All I want is to spend the night in your arms
To be around you is so-oh right
You're sheer perfection (thank you)
Drive me crazy, drive me all night
Just don't break up the connection
I don't care where we go
I don't care what we do
I don't care pretty baby
Just take me with you
I don't care where we go
I don't care what we do
I don't care pretty baby
Just take me with you
Just take me with you
Won't you take me with you
Honey, take me with you

Related image

Prince - lead vocal and instruments

Apollonia - co-lead vocals

Bobby Z -drums & percussion

Dr Fink -keyboards and vocals

Lisa Coleman -keyboards and vocals

BrownMark - bass and vocals

Wendy Melvoin -guitar and vocals

Jill Jones -background vocals

David Coleman - cello

Novi Novog - violin and viola

Suzi Katayama -cello

Related image

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Love for 'Take Me With U'