independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 8th Apr 2020 4:29am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Is Getting an All-Star Grammy Tribute Concert
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 10 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 01/12/20 11:19am

SoulAlive

kingricefan said:

So out of 27 posts 10 (so far) are negative. Would those 10 posters prefer that we just forget about Prince and the music? He's gone, folks, he's never coming back to give us new music or drop in at the Grammy's to give an award or go on tour again. So how would you like to keep his memory and IMPACT on the world alive? Prince has been gone 4 years this April so this isn't even a 5th year anniversary and he's getting a tribute concert that will be filmed and aired on television. Quit your whining about who's playing/singing/dancing and just freaking enjoy the fact that he HASN'T BEEN FORGOTTEN yet!!! Be HAPPY about that.

Prince and his music will never be forgotten.He doesn't need "tribute concerts" to remind the world how great he was.Just put on a Prince CD and pay tribute by simply listening wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 01/12/20 11:30am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

SoulAlive said:



kingricefan said:


So out of 27 posts 10 (so far) are negative. Would those 10 posters prefer that we just forget about Prince and the music? He's gone, folks, he's never coming back to give us new music or drop in at the Grammy's to give an award or go on tour again. So how would you like to keep his memory and IMPACT on the world alive? Prince has been gone 4 years this April so this isn't even a 5th year anniversary and he's getting a tribute concert that will be filmed and aired on television. Quit your whining about who's playing/singing/dancing and just freaking enjoy the fact that he HASN'T BEEN FORGOTTEN yet!!! Be HAPPY about that.




Prince and his music will never be forgotten.He doesn't need "tribute concerts" to remind the world how great he was.Just put on a Prince CD and pay tribute by simply listening wink



Agreed. Prince is his own best tribute. A televised stellar live Prince concert from the vault or even a decent, thoughtful compilation of some of his greatest live performances, would be the most fitting way to honour him. There's an archive of lengendary, dynamite performances - why not use them?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 01/12/20 11:32am

jfenster

OperatingThetan said:

SoulAlive said:

Prince and his music will never be forgotten.He doesn't need "tribute concerts" to remind the world how great he was.Just put on a Prince CD and pay tribute by simply listening wink

Agreed. Prince is his own best tribute. A televised stellar live Prince concert from the vault or even a decent, thoughtful compilation of some of his greatest live performances, would be the most fitting way to honour him. There's an archive of lengendary, dynamite performances - why not use them?

and at least they could do both...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 01/12/20 11:57am

RJP1205

That´s a cool list and most of them definitely deserve to be invited but I think the majority of casual fans and Grammy Award viewers wouldn´t even know who those people are.
I think Jill Jones and Cat are two very important people in Prince history but most folks today couldn´t tell you who those two are. The Grammy Awards have to play it safe and use more wellknown people, regardless of how the hardcore fans feel about it.
.
EXACTLY!! It's an ALL STAR tribute. The way to introduce P to the masses is to include stars who are currently relevant.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 01/12/20 12:30pm

ladygirl99

PennyPurple said:

ladygirl99 said:

Exactly. Prince wasn't a solo artist that need other non-associate musicians to play his tributes where his own bandmembers should had been contact first. I understand its all about attracting stars for these tributes but most people would still enjoy the songs no need to constantly attract star power (since when that is revelent in 2020 when this younger generation are making their own stars over some internent sensation by some previously unknown person).

He already had his own bands who not only alive but healthy enough to play these tributes. The industry should had contact them first before getting the likes of Beck, Foo Fighters, etc. I mean don't get me wrong they are talent but still show some respect toward his bandmembers who helped Prince to get where he was at.

I remember Wendy and Lisa said on their social media page that they were overlook when it come to Prince documentary scoring gigs yet some of the songs they helped to do and they are right. Give them some Prince scoring gigs that the least people can do since they lost some opportunities to do Prince tribute gigs. Plus they were there with the writing not just touring.

Prince is the only 1 who got Prince to where is was.


This a grammy tribute to PRINCE, not his ASSociates.

No man is an island.

Prince even said out of his own mouth that he got help especially during the mid 80s with his studio work. He also talked about jam sessions how it was done by various bandmembers and some of their work went on his records.

Whether you like it or not facts are facts, his associates help his success and more should be up there instead of musicians who have nothing to do with his success. I understand some people have personal beef with his associates but please don't let it cloud over facts and stories.

[Edited 1/12/20 13:01pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 01/12/20 12:32pm

ladygirl99

RJP1205 said:

That´s a cool list and most of them definitely deserve to be invited but I think the majority of casual fans and Grammy Award viewers wouldn´t even know who those people are. I think Jill Jones and Cat are two very important people in Prince history but most folks today couldn´t tell you who those two are. The Grammy Awards have to play it safe and use more wellknown people, regardless of how the hardcore fans feel about it. . EXACTLY!! It's an ALL STAR tribute. The way to introduce P to the masses is to include stars who are currently relevant.

I see your point and that is why I said earlier that the estate should plan something like Prince version of Woodstock like a four day one time event and make it stream or televise. Woodstock doesn't usually empathize starpower like the Grammys and plus Princestock it would had all the musicians (if they want to do it) worked for him and played well known songs from the era they worked on.

Cat Glover and even Jill Jones mentioned this.

Gosh people don't realize I wish I can be part of making decisions with the estate and heck I can do for a low price or even free because I just care I am not the only fan feels this way. lol

[Edited 1/12/20 13:08pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 01/12/20 7:35pm

looby

SoulAlive said:

kingricefan said:

So out of 27 posts 10 (so far) are negative. Would those 10 posters prefer that we just forget about Prince and the music? He's gone, folks, he's never coming back to give us new music or drop in at the Grammy's to give an award or go on tour again. So how would you like to keep his memory and IMPACT on the world alive? Prince has been gone 4 years this April so this isn't even a 5th year anniversary and he's getting a tribute concert that will be filmed and aired on television. Quit your whining about who's playing/singing/dancing and just freaking enjoy the fact that he HASN'T BEEN FORGOTTEN yet!!! Be HAPPY about that.

Prince and his music will never be forgotten.He doesn't need "tribute concerts" to remind the world how great he was.Just put on a Prince CD and pay tribute by simply listening wink

I agree completely! Prince will never be forgotten by his true fans......not possible!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 01/12/20 8:26pm

rogifan

Everyone saying all these associates should be at this event...it's a Grammys show. It's supposed to be other famous musical artists paying tribute. If the Estate wants to do another proper tribute concert they can invite Jill, Cat, 3EG etc. Also if Sheila is the musical director of this show I'm not surprised certain people aren't involved. But I think it's mostly because the Grammy folks know casual Prince fans/the people tuning into this show wouldn't know who the heck Jill Jones or Cat Dyson is.

And let's be honest, whatever one thinks of Sheila her BET tribute was probably the best of all of them. It was tight and the songs segued together really well (which is something Prince was known for). I fully expect it will be a tight show and much better than the shit show Morris Hayes had to direct. Or the pathetic Bruno Mars Grammy tribute which was nothing more than bad karaoke complete with him in Purple Rain era costume. #vomit

Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 01/12/20 10:20pm

Buttox

RJOrion said:

Buttox said:



What an arrogant stuck up point of view...as if Prince were some sort of holy artist that only the truly worthy and blessed have the divine permission to pay tribute to him.

He has made shittier music than any of these artists at some point during his career so they are not beneath him...

I bet you are one of those who thought Timberlake insulted Prince with his superbowl tribute....that arrogant holier than thou attitude is exhibit A of why Prince has fewer listens on Spotify than Madonna MJ and yes...Phil Collins...and is likely to be forgotten far sooner than any of them by the public.....but that's ok because he is more talented...it's a fair price to pay to have only real musicians appreciate him....everyone else can fuck off
[Edited 1/10/20 20:37pm]


why get all emotional & profane, and make personal attacks because someone someone commented that John Legend or Chris Martin is bland?... cant people have their own opinions and their own likes and dislikes?


I am not attacking the opinion of another artist..I am attacking the premise that artists who have talent and success in their own right are beneath Prince and not worthy of honouring him. If they had said I don't like so and so and wish it was someone else I would not have commented but this idea by some princeheads that Prince is too special to be recognised by say Madonna or Justin Timberlake need to take a humility pill or two
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 01/12/20 10:57pm

Buttox

Buttox said:

RJOrion said:



why get all emotional & profane, and make personal attacks because someone someone commented that John Legend or Chris Martin is bland?... cant people have their own opinions and their own likes and dislikes?


I am not attacking the opinion of another artist..I am attacking the premise that artists who have talent and success in their own right are beneath Prince and not worthy of honouring him. If they had said I don't like so and so and wish it was someone else I would not have commented but this idea by some princeheads that Prince is too special to be recognised by say Madonna or Justin Timberlake need to take a humility pill or two

And the emotion is because in another universe Prince is mentioned in the same breath as the greatest artists of all time because he stayed hungry and humble and always strove to make the best songs and melodies and albums he could...taking the time to make sure he always gave the best of himself. We got the arrogant and controlling version that blew hot and cold....and that sucks...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 01/13/20 7:52am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Maybe Lizzo will do a cameo lol

.

The tribute concert sounds fantastic, I'm hoping Jimmy, Terry, and Sheila really show and prove, with an unforgettable show we can all enjoy and be proud of. I'm happy this will be a great opportunity to introduce Prince music to new generations of fans of other artists.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 01/13/20 10:23am

ladygirl99

StrangeButTrue said:

Maybe Lizzo will do a cameo lol

.

The tribute concert sounds fantastic, I'm hoping Jimmy, Terry, and Sheila really show and prove, with an unforgettable show we can all enjoy and be proud of. I'm happy this will be a great opportunity to introduce Prince music to new generations of fans of other artists.

She could do a song off his 2014 album or so. People don't realize but Lizzo and Prince worked a song together before he passed. He saw her performed at First Avenue and he invited her to do a song at Paisley Park. Too bad Prince isn't here seeing Lizzo's mainstream success. neutral

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 01/13/20 10:53am

RJOrion

ladygirl99 said:



StrangeButTrue said:


Maybe Lizzo will do a cameo lol


.


The tribute concert sounds fantastic, I'm hoping Jimmy, Terry, and Sheila really show and prove, with an unforgettable show we can all enjoy and be proud of. I'm happy this will be a great opportunity to introduce Prince music to new generations of fans of other artists.





She could do a song off his 2014 album or so. People don't realize but Lizzo and Prince worked a song together before he passed. He saw her performed at First Avenue and he invited her to do a song at Paisley Park. Too bad Prince isn't here seeing Lizzo's mainstream success. neutral




people know Lizzo featured on "Boy Trouble" on the 3rd Eye Girl lp...it was also the worst song on the album...by far
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 01/13/20 4:00pm

TurnItUp

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 01/13/20 4:16pm

TurnItUp

OperatingThetan said:

SoulAlive said:

Prince and his music will never be forgotten.He doesn't need "tribute concerts" to remind the world how great he was.Just put on a Prince CD and pay tribute by simply listening wink

Agreed. Prince is his own best tribute. A televised stellar live Prince concert from the vault or even a decent, thoughtful compilation of some of his greatest live performances, would be the most fitting way to honour him. There's an archive of lengendary, dynamite performances - why not use them?

THANK YOU! Finally somebody on here talking some sense.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 01/13/20 4:22pm

jfenster

arent all these tribute things just a way to bring his music to attention and try to sell his stuff?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 01/13/20 4:32pm

TurnItUp

jfenster said:

arent all these tribute things just a way to bring his music to attention and try to sell his stuff?

Yes they are and I'm glad they are doing it. As long as it's done right and out of love. Except I could do without John Legend.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 01/13/20 5:15pm

PennyPurple

avatar

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

COME BACK RODEO COME BACK!
Ask him why he felt the need to delete his account, rather than just walk away and stop posting as countless others have done. Or he could have just stayed out of P&R.
But nobody is above the rules, no matter how long you've b
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 01/13/20 5:19pm

PeggyO

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 01/13/20 5:23pm

PeggyO

John Legend is getting crucified here. He's not that bad.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 01/13/20 7:31pm

TurnItUp

PeggyO said:

John Legend is getting crucified here. He's not that bad.

The thing with me with John Legend is he's overrated and overexposed. He's everywhere.

We need a break from here. Jesus, he was on Surviving R Kelly, I'm surprised he wasn't on the sequel last week.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #111 posted 01/13/20 7:31pm

PennyPurple

avatar

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

COME BACK RODEO COME BACK!
Ask him why he felt the need to delete his account, rather than just walk away and stop posting as countless others have done. Or he could have just stayed out of P&R.
But nobody is above the rules, no matter how long you've b
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #112 posted 01/13/20 7:51pm

PeggyO

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #113 posted 01/14/20 5:34am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

TurnItUp said:

PeggyO said:

John Legend is getting crucified here. He's not that bad.

The thing with me with John Legend is he's overrated and overexposed. He's everywhere.

We need a break from here. Jesus, he was on Surviving R Kelly, I'm surprised he wasn't on the sequel last week.

attachFull1293018

"4 all of us, life is death without adventure,& adventure only comes 2 those who are willing 2 b daring & take chances."prince 1985
Well, eye can't b played a person tryna play me, plays themselves prince 1998
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #114 posted 01/14/20 8:12am

djdaffy1227

avatar

I love H.E.R. My daughter actually turned me on to her music.

Making love and music are the only things worth fighting for.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #115 posted 01/14/20 8:48am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

@djdaffy1227 I saw her (H.E.R.) live too once she was kinda dreadful, IMHO. She even literally pretended to do the guitar solo from Purple Rain. eek

@PeggyO never understood the appeal of John Legend and I always thought he kinda looked like Tia and Tamera's little brother on Sister Sister. It is notable and outstanding of him to have collected so many accolades and I'm sure he could do a tamer Prince song. Maybe Pink Cashmere?

[Edited 1/14/20 8:48am]

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #116 posted 01/14/20 8:51am

PeggyO

StrangeButTrue said:

@djdaffy1227 I saw her (H.E.R.) live too once she was kinda dreadful, IMHO. She even literally pretended to do the guitar solo from Purple Rain. eek

@PeggyO never understood the appeal of John Legend and I always thought he kinda looked like Tia and Tamera's little brother on Sister Sister. It is notable and outstanding of him to have collected so many accolades and I'm sure he could do a tamer Prince song. Maybe Pink Cashmere?

[Edited 1/14/20 8:48am]

He shows a little life and soul when coaching on The Voice

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #117 posted 01/14/20 9:07am

RJOrion

LOL...my 13 year old son looks ALOT like a teenage version of John Legend...skin color, haircut, eyes... he hates it when people tell him that
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #118 posted 01/14/20 10:45am

PeggyO

RJOrion said:

LOL...my 13 year old son looks ALOT like a teenage version of John Legend...skin color, haircut, eyes... he hates it when people tell him that

Don't forget, World's sexiest man...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #119 posted 01/14/20 11:41am

RJOrion

PeggyO said:



RJOrion said:


LOL...my 13 year old son looks ALOT like a teenage version of John Legend...skin color, haircut, eyes... he hates it when people tell him that


Don't forget, World's sexiest man...




nah...my son is taller, lanky and kindy goofy at this stage...he hasnt developed any king of swag yet..its just the facial resemblance is uncanny...they even have the same lil moustache...IMO john legend is a regular lookin dude, im not sure why he supposed to be worlds sexiest, but im not a woman, so its not for me to judge whats sexy about another man
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 10 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Is Getting an All-Star Grammy Tribute Concert