independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 1st Apr 2020 12:43pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Lovesexy VS The Black Album - which is the greater album?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 03/04/20 3:27pm

v10letblues

avatar

The glossy sherbet album vs the gritty black album. Perhaps you just have to be in the mood for one or the other.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 03/05/20 3:06pm

jfenster

who else could release 2 such different great albums during the same time

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 03/06/20 3:51am

nextedition

avatar

herb4 said:



controversy99 said:




SoulAlive said:


between white and black,night and day


black night seemed like the only way


So I danced


Music late,nothing great,no way to differentiate


I took a chance



hmmm does this lyric express Prince's opinion of The Black Album?




That's what I always understood those lyrics to mean. And I think it's a fair assessment. There are some good songs, some average songs, but no truly great songs on TBA if you ask me. From what I recall of fan surveys, there's never a song from TBA in the top twenty or possibly even top thirty. Le Grind, Bob George, and Rock Hard are all solidly good.

Anna Stesia and Alphabet St. are often ranked highly among fans and critics. I think Anna Stesia is great, but Alphabet St. was disappointing to me as an A-side single. For me, Eye Know, Anna Stesia, Lovesexy, and Positivity are all fantastic songs. The rest are good to average. Overall, LS is the One!





Same. It's a good song but I never liked the drum sound on it and I think that's what bugs me about it. One of my least favorites among his singles. I like your assesment.

Rock Hard and Le Grind could have been singles. Agree with your assesment of singles Prince used from Lovesexy but that was an ongoing problem after PR. But I don't really see a path forward for making Lovesey a commercial hit; from the cove to the single CD tracking to the vibe and all the way down. It's a headphone album; a challenging one at that and, truth be told, a lot of the homoerotic overtones and the style of the whole thing were another issue/obstacle, especially from a black artist.

Didn't bother me but I know for a fact it bothered a lot of people who hopped on board with PR and 1999 but checked out with the album cover and the rather aggresive fashion and things. We still weren't there in 1988 despite the success of acts like Elton John, David Bowie and even the Stones.

The more I think about, I truly believe TBA would have moved a lot more units (at least in the U.S.) and helped the tour sell tickets. LS did oddly well overseas.

...

The double album that could have been. I think that was his intention all along TBH.


What homoerotic overtones do you hear on lovesexy?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 03/06/20 1:45pm

SoulAlive

controversy99 said:

SoulAlive said:

between white and black,night and day

black night seemed like the only way

So I danced

Music late,nothing great,no way to differentiate

I took a chance

hmmm does this lyric express Prince's opinion of The Black Album?


That's what I always understood those lyrics to mean. And I think it's a fair assessment. There are some good songs, some average songs, but no truly great songs on TBA if you ask me.

I agree.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 03/06/20 1:58pm

SoulAlive

herb4 said:


Rock Hard and Le Grind could have been singles.

"Rock Hard In A Funky Place" is a good song,but I don't think it could have been a single biggrin it's hard to imagine any radio station playing a song with lyrics like "you couldn't concentrate when your dick saw her" and "I just hate to see an erection go to waste".Hardly any of the TBA tracks would have gotten much airplay,for obvious reasons.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 03/06/20 2:12pm

SoulAlive

herb4 said:


Agree with your assesment of singles Prince used from Lovesexy but that was an ongoing problem after PR. But I don't really see a path forward for making Lovesey a commercial hit; from the cover to the single CD tracking to the vibe and all the way down. It's a headphone album; a challenging one at that and, truth be told, a lot of the homoerotic overtones and the style of the whole thing were another issue/obstacle, especially from a black artist.


I think Lovesexy would have done much better,saleswise, if:

1) it didn't have a nude album cover---let's be honest,that nude cover kept many MALES from buying the album.

2)the title track had been the second single,instead of "Glam Slam"----as you pointed out,Prince ruined the momentum of several of his post-PR albums by choosing the wrong second single."Glam Slam" works well as an album track,but it didn't stand a chance on R&B or pop radio in 1988.The title track,on the other hand,is a strong,dynamic track that's also very danceable.With a fantastic video,there is no reason why this song would not have caught on with the masses.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 03/06/20 2:41pm

herb4

avatar

nextedition said:

herb4 said:


Same. It's a good song but I never liked the drum sound on it and I think that's what bugs me about it. One of my least favorites among his singles. I like your assesment.

Rock Hard and Le Grind could have been singles. Agree with your assesment of singles Prince used from Lovesexy but that was an ongoing problem after PR. But I don't really see a path forward for making Lovesey a commercial hit; from the cove to the single CD tracking to the vibe and all the way down. It's a headphone album; a challenging one at that and, truth be told, a lot of the homoerotic overtones and the style of the whole thing were another issue/obstacle, especially from a black artist.

Didn't bother me but I know for a fact it bothered a lot of people who hopped on board with PR and 1999 but checked out with the album cover and the rather aggresive fashion and things. We still weren't there in 1988 despite the success of acts like Elton John, David Bowie and even the Stones.

The more I think about, I truly believe TBA would have moved a lot more units (at least in the U.S.) and helped the tour sell tickets. LS did oddly well overseas.

...

The double album that could have been. I think that was his intention all along TBH.

What homoerotic overtones do you hear on lovesexy?


I was speaking more to the style, the clothes, the cover and the tour but, since you asked, the "anyone boy or girl line in Anna Stesia" was often misunderstood.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 03/06/20 3:06pm

RJOrion

herb4 said:



nextedition said:


herb4 said:



Same. It's a good song but I never liked the drum sound on it and I think that's what bugs me about it. One of my least favorites among his singles. I like your assesment.

Rock Hard and Le Grind could have been singles. Agree with your assesment of singles Prince used from Lovesexy but that was an ongoing problem after PR. But I don't really see a path forward for making Lovesey a commercial hit; from the cove to the single CD tracking to the vibe and all the way down. It's a headphone album; a challenging one at that and, truth be told, a lot of the homoerotic overtones and the style of the whole thing were another issue/obstacle, especially from a black artist.

Didn't bother me but I know for a fact it bothered a lot of people who hopped on board with PR and 1999 but checked out with the album cover and the rather aggresive fashion and things. We still weren't there in 1988 despite the success of acts like Elton John, David Bowie and even the Stones.

The more I think about, I truly believe TBA would have moved a lot more units (at least in the U.S.) and helped the tour sell tickets. LS did oddly well overseas.

...

The double album that could have been. I think that was his intention all along TBH.



What homoerotic overtones do you hear on lovesexy?


I was speaking more to the style, the clothes, the cover and the tour but, since you asked, the "anyone boy or girl line in Anna Stesia" was often misunderstood.




yeah, i got attacked here for suggesting the lyrics were "suspect";

" Have you ever wanted to play
With someone so much you'd take
Any one boy or girl?"

"Music late, nothing great (Music late, nothing great)
No way to differentiate (No way to differentiate)
I took a chance
Gregory looks just like a ghost
And then a beautiful girl the most
Wets her lips to say
"We could live for a little while
If you could just learn to smile
You and I could fly away, fly away"
Anna Stesia come to me
Talk to me, ravish me
Liberate my mind"


that could easily, and possibly correctly, interpreted as "homoerotic"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 03/06/20 3:38pm

v10letblues

avatar

The black Album was meant to go under the radar. Without the Prince name anywhere on it.

The music is raw and not pop or radio friendly AT ALL. And that's what i love about it.

.

2 Nigs United 4 West Compton underscores that. Just an amazing and bonkers ruckus of bananas funk guaranteed to scare your mom. My second favorite track on the album.

.

Two completely different offerings not meant to appeal to the same demographics.

[Edited 3/6/20 15:47pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 03/06/20 4:14pm

RJOrion

v10letblues said:

The black Album was meant to go under the radar. Without the Prince name anywhere on it.


The music is raw and not pop or radio friendly AT ALL. And that's what i love about it.


.


2 Nigs United 4 West Compton underscores that. Just an amazing and bonkers ruckus of bananas funk guaranteed to scare your mom. My second favorite track on the album.


.


Two completely different offerings not meant to appeal to the same demographics.



[Edited 3/6/20 15:47pm]



2 Nigs United 4 West Compton might be the funkiest joint Prince ever made... the virtuoso bass riffs, the funky jimmy nolen style rhythm guitar, the jazzy funk church organ.. .synth solos...sheila E beatin the shit outta the drums...all right in the pocket
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 03/07/20 3:20am

nextedition

avatar

herb4 said:

nextedition said:

herb4 said: What homoerotic overtones do you hear on lovesexy?


I was speaking more to the style, the clothes, the cover and the tour but, since you asked, the "anyone boy or girl line in Anna Stesia" was often misunderstood.

Ok i see what you mean, i never thought that line was erotic.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 03/09/20 10:05am

CAL3

Best cut on 'Black Album' first appeared on 'Lovesexy' - one of P's most stunning romantic ballads. Excellent judgment on P's part to include "When 2 R In Love" on 'Lovesexy' - great call.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 03/09/20 11:05am

emesem

always treated these as one double album. Fits perfectly on a 90min cassette.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 03/09/20 11:13am

emesem

"anyone boy or girl line in Anna Stesia"

.

That line is about deep loneliness you take it as you will.

.

"Music late, nothing great (Music late, nothing great)
No way to differentiate (No way to differentiate)
I took a chance"

.

This is about the Black Album

.

"Gregory looks just like a ghost"

.

I always assumed this was back up dancer Gregory's reaction to the Black Album (or it could be Prince's overdose)

.
"And then a beautiful girl the most
Wets her lips to say
"We could live for a little while
If you could just learn to smile
You and I could fly away, fly away""

.

This is about Ingrid Chavez.

.

RJOrion said:

herb4 said:


I was speaking more to the style, the clothes, the cover and the tour but, since you asked, the "anyone boy or girl line in Anna Stesia" was often misunderstood.

yeah, i got attacked here for suggesting the lyrics were "suspect"; " Have you ever wanted to play With someone so much you'd take Any one boy or girl?" "Music late, nothing great (Music late, nothing great) No way to differentiate (No way to differentiate) I took a chance Gregory looks just like a ghost And then a beautiful girl the most Wets her lips to say "We could live for a little while If you could just learn to smile You and I could fly away, fly away" Anna Stesia come to me Talk to me, ravish me Liberate my mind" that could easily, and possibly correctly, interpreted as "homoerotic"

[Edited 3/9/20 11:14am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 03/09/20 11:27am

RJOrion

emesem said:

"anyone boy or girl line in Anna Stesia"


.


That line is about deep loneliness you take it as you will.


.


"Music late, nothing great (Music late, nothing great)
No way to differentiate (No way to differentiate)
I took a chance"


.


This is about the Black Album


.


"Gregory looks just like a ghost"


.


I always assumed this was back up dancer Gregory's reaction to the Black Album (or it could be Prince's overdose)


.
"And then a beautiful girl the most
Wets her lips to say
"We could live for a little while
If you could just learn to smile
You and I could fly away, fly away""


.


This is about Ingrid Chavez.


.




RJOrion said:


herb4 said:



I was speaking more to the style, the clothes, the cover and the tour but, since you asked, the "anyone boy or girl line in Anna Stesia" was often misunderstood.



yeah, i got attacked here for suggesting the lyrics were "suspect"; " Have you ever wanted to play With someone so much you'd take Any one boy or girl?" "Music late, nothing great (Music late, nothing great) No way to differentiate (No way to differentiate) I took a chance Gregory looks just like a ghost And then a beautiful girl the most Wets her lips to say "We could live for a little while If you could just learn to smile You and I could fly away, fly away" Anna Stesia come to me Talk to me, ravish me Liberate my mind" that could easily, and possibly correctly, interpreted as "homoerotic"

[Edited 3/9/20 11:14am]



you dont know that...youre guessing.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 03/09/20 2:48pm

slyjackson

RJOrion said:

emesem said:

"anyone boy or girl line in Anna Stesia"

.

That line is about deep loneliness you take it as you will.

.

"Music late, nothing great (Music late, nothing great)
No way to differentiate (No way to differentiate)
I took a chance"

.

This is about the Black Album

.

"Gregory looks just like a ghost"

.

I always assumed this was back up dancer Gregory's reaction to the Black Album (or it could be Prince's overdose)

.
"And then a beautiful girl the most
Wets her lips to say
"We could live for a little while
If you could just learn to smile
You and I could fly away, fly away""

.

This is about Ingrid Chavez.

.

[Edited 3/9/20 11:14am]

you dont know that...youre guessing.

Sure He is, that doesn't mean it's not plausible.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 03/09/20 2:55pm

herb4

avatar

I know what the line is about (I think) but I also know for a fact that many misinterpreted it and I was answering that one person's question.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 03/10/20 7:17am

CAL3

emesem said:

always treated these as one double album. Fits perfectly on a 90min cassette.

.

That's one seriously unbalanced double album.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 03/18/20 5:49am

Poplife88

avatar

controversy99 said:

SoulAlive said:

between white and black,night and day

black night seemed like the only way

So I danced

Music late,nothing great,no way to differentiate

I took a chance

hmmm does this lyric express Prince's opinion of The Black Album?


That's what I always understood those lyrics to mean. And I think it's a fair assessment. There are some good songs, some average songs, but no truly great songs on TBA if you ask me. From what I recall of fan surveys, there's never a song from TBA in the top twenty or possibly even top thirty. Le Grind, Bob George, and Rock Hard are all solidly good.

Anna Stesia and Alphabet St. are often ranked highly among fans and critics. I think Anna Stesia is great, but Alphabet St. was disappointing to me as an A-side single. For me, Eye Know, Anna Stesia, Lovesexy, and Positivity are all fantastic songs. The rest are good to average. Overall, LS is the One!

I interpreted these lyrics the same. I LOVE the Black Album as an album but there are no individual songs that would pick out of it and listen to on their own, except maybe Rock Hard. I also wondered if the response when he played it that night wasnt anything special...and mix that with a bad E trip, and Spooky Electric and Lovesexy were born.

[Edited 3/18/20 5:54am]

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Lovesexy VS The Black Album - which is the greater album?