independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 1st Apr 2020 1:28pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Most underrated Prince song between 1978-1989 (released only)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/14/20 5:12pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Most underrated Prince song between 1978-1989 (released only)



It's been a long time since we've had a legit discussion thread about this.

Which released song of his pre-1990 doesn't get as much love as it should?

I'm gonna start with Do Me Baby, one of my all-time favorite songs.

"Never let nasty stalkers disrespect you. They start shit, you finish it. Go down to their level, that's the only way they'll understand. You have to handle things yourself."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/14/20 7:37pm

donnyenglish

Gonna Be Lonely

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/14/20 8:25pm

SoulAlive

"Private Joy" music this really should have been a single

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/14/20 9:48pm

Dalia11

One of my favorite songs: "Anastasia".
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/14/20 10:22pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

"Do Me, Baby"? On YouTube Official Prince Channel it has 3.1 million views, make it his highest-viewed album cut bar none and highest viewed non-music video... it's even higher than a lot of official music videos... As a means of comparison, the official video for "Partyman" only has 2.4 million views.

[Edited 3/14/20 22:23pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/14/20 10:42pm

Mintchip

avatar

I vote for one of the great, butchered B-Sides. The extended versions of "Girl", or "La la la, he he he", which aren't officially released on anything other than vinyl, and are only known by most people by their edited - and kind of meh - Hits/B-Sides versions.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/15/20 5:01am

Pokeno4Money

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:

"Do Me, Baby"? On YouTube Official Prince Channel it has 3.1 million views, make it his highest-viewed album cut bar none and highest viewed non-music video... it's even higher than a lot of official music videos... As a means of comparison, the official video for "Partyman" only has 2.4 million views.

[Edited 3/14/20 22:23pm]


Very true, however in terms of mainstream popularity Do Me is basically nonexistent.

Not on the Top 20 in the UK.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/princes-top-20-biggest-hits-on-the-official-chart__23714/


Never charted in the US or many other countries, which is shocking to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_singles_discography


Not included in most Greatest Singles lists.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/12/prince-50-greatest-singles-ranked


I think at the very least it should be considered among his 20 best songs ever.


"Never let nasty stalkers disrespect you. They start shit, you finish it. Go down to their level, that's the only way they'll understand. You have to handle things yourself."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/15/20 5:44am

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:

WhisperingDandelions said:

"Do Me, Baby"? On YouTube Official Prince Channel it has 3.1 million views, make it his highest-viewed album cut bar none and highest viewed non-music video... it's even higher than a lot of official music videos... As a means of comparison, the official video for "Partyman" only has 2.4 million views.

[Edited 3/14/20 22:23pm]


Very true, however in terms of mainstream popularity Do Me is basically nonexistent.

Not on the Top 20 in the UK.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/princes-top-20-biggest-hits-on-the-official-chart__23714/


Never charted in the US or many other countries, which is shocking to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_singles_discography


Not included in most Greatest Singles lists.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/12/prince-50-greatest-singles-ranked


I think at the very least it should be considered among his 20 best songs ever.


But it wasn't a single. It's not eligible for any of those lists.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/15/20 6:33am

Pokeno4Money

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:

But it wasn't a single. It's not eligible for any of those lists.


Huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...o_Me,_Baby

"Do Me, Baby" is a 1981 ballad performed by Prince, from his fourth album, Controversy. It was released as the third and final US single from the album.

"Never let nasty stalkers disrespect you. They start shit, you finish it. Go down to their level, that's the only way they'll understand. You have to handle things yourself."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/15/20 6:47am

PurpleColossus

avatar

Shockadelica

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/15/20 9:07am

RJOrion

My Love Is Forever
Its Gonna Be Lonely
Party Up
Annie Christian
2 Nigs United 4 West Compton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/15/20 9:18am

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Ripopgodezippa ... nobody seems to ever talk about it, but I LOVE the song!!

"Never let nasty stalkers disrespect you. They start shit, you finish it. Go down to their level, that's the only way they'll understand. You have to handle things yourself."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/15/20 9:38am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

A lot of people here seem to dislike Dance On a lot... like, Jughead-level dislike. I just don't get that. I mean, you don't have to love it like I do, but what's to hate?

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/15/20 1:15pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

eyewishuheaven said:

A lot of people here seem to dislike Dance On a lot... like, Jughead-level dislike. I just don't get that. I mean, you don't have to love it like I do, but what's to hate?


I don't dislike it .... I think it's just okay. The first half sounds lilke a drum solo. lol

"Never let nasty stalkers disrespect you. They start shit, you finish it. Go down to their level, that's the only way they'll understand. You have to handle things yourself."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/15/20 2:17pm

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

donnyenglish said:

Gonna Be Lonely

yeahthat nod

Here's what bothers ME:

Prince died of an overdose of the drug Fentanyl. Of which, it is very highly fucking likely that he never even knew he'd taken.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/15/20 2:22pm

emesem

there are two pairs of songs that flow together that i feel are underrated:

- I will/Into the light

- Marrying Kind/If I was the man if your life

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/15/20 4:08pm

slyjackson

Shocakedlica and Private Joy are some of them.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/15/20 4:37pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Days of Wild, love that song.

"Never let nasty stalkers disrespect you. They start shit, you finish it. Go down to their level, that's the only way they'll understand. You have to handle things yourself."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/15/20 5:35pm

EnDoRpHn

We should have a thread called "Song titles that so-called Prince fans are most likely to misspell or misremember".

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/15/20 5:56pm

slyjackson

emesem said:

there are two pairs of songs that flow together that i feel are underrated:

- I will/Into the light

- Marrying Kind/If I was the man if your life

80's from the 80's... but you're right about the first. I Will is specially beautiful.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/16/20 2:57am

callimnate

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:

WhisperingDandelions said:

But it wasn't a single. It's not eligible for any of those lists.


Huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...o_Me,_Baby

"Do Me, Baby" is a 1981 ballad performed by Prince, from his fourth album, Controversy. It was released as the third and final US single from the album.


Although it was officially released as a single in the US (and in Peru according to The Vault eek ). I wouldn't consider Do Me Baby as a standard single release, but more a last miinute, lets milk this album as much as we can, type release.
More a release for the local radios and jukeboxes than anything else.
Definitely not considered or intended for those charts you quoted.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/16/20 5:04am

VaultCurator

avatar

SoulAlive said:

"Private Joy" music this really should have been a single


Great choice. smile

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/16/20 1:57pm

slyjackson

callimnate said:

Pokeno4Money said:


Huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...o_Me,_Baby

"Do Me, Baby" is a 1981 ballad performed by Prince, from his fourth album, Controversy. It was released as the third and final US single from the album.


Although it was officially released as a single in the US (and in Peru according to The Vault eek ). I wouldn't consider Do Me Baby as a standard single release, but more a last miinute, lets milk this album as much as we can, type release.
More a release for the local radios and jukeboxes than anything else.
Definitely not considered or intended for those charts you quoted.

Peru? are you for real? do they even know Prince in Peru?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/16/20 2:58pm

TrevorAyer

Love or $
.
Sex
.
Mutiny
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/17/20 6:23am

gandorb

Pokeno4Money said:



It's been a long time since we've had a legit discussion thread about this.

Which released song of his pre-1990 doesn't get as much love as it should?

I'm gonna start with Do Me Baby, one of my all-time favorite songs.

Two that are in some way are similar in that it is Prince at his most idealistic/dreamiest, The Ladder and Free. I know these and other songs in a similar vein got slammed by many here, but it is one facet of Prince that I appreciate as it adds another dimension to his music. Only Prince could go from purely sexual to upliftinng in consecutive songs. I agree with those who don't believe Free fit well into 1999, but the songs itself is one I really like.

One song that most people seem to like but not love is Uptown. To me, it is as good as any of his songs on his first 4 albums. It is so funky and fun to sing along well. Who can resist rhyming Puerto Riccan with freakin! I, for one, can't.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/17/20 3:08pm

slyjackson

gandorb said:

Pokeno4Money said:



It's been a long time since we've had a legit discussion thread about this.

Which released song of his pre-1990 doesn't get as much love as it should?

I'm gonna start with Do Me Baby, one of my all-time favorite songs.

Two that are in some way are similar in that it is Prince at his most idealistic/dreamiest, The Ladder and Free. I know these and other songs in a similar vein got slammed by many here, but it is one facet of Prince that I appreciate as it adds another dimension to his music. Only Prince could go from purely sexual to upliftinng in consecutive songs. I agree with those who don't believe Free fit well into 1999, but the songs itself is one I really like.

One song that most people seem to like but not love is Uptown. To me, it is as good as any of his songs on his first 4 albums. It is so funky and fun to sing along well. Who can resist rhyming Puerto Riccan with freakin! I, for one, can't.

Is one of his very best to me, it's like an anthem.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/17/20 3:18pm

rdhull

avatar

Private Joy.

"Climb in my fur."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/17/20 4:14pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

gandorb said:

Pokeno4Money said:



It's been a long time since we've had a legit discussion thread about this.

Which released song of his pre-1990 doesn't get as much love as it should?

I'm gonna start with Do Me Baby, one of my all-time favorite songs.

Two that are in some way are similar in that it is Prince at his most idealistic/dreamiest, The Ladder and Free. I know these and other songs in a similar vein got slammed by many here, but it is one facet of Prince that I appreciate as it adds another dimension to his music. Only Prince could go from purely sexual to upliftinng in consecutive songs. I agree with those who don't believe Free fit well into 1999, but the songs itself is one I really like.

One song that most people seem to like but not love is Uptown. To me, it is as good as any of his songs on his first 4 albums. It is so funky and fun to sing along well. Who can resist rhyming Puerto Riccan with freakin! I, for one, can't.


I actually like The Ladder a lot, it's got a great message.

And Free is okay in my book, I've got nothing against it. Same thing with Uptown, and good point on the rhyming. lol


"Never let nasty stalkers disrespect you. They start shit, you finish it. Go down to their level, that's the only way they'll understand. You have to handle things yourself."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/17/20 10:40pm

Phase3

"I'm yours"The guitar playing throughout is extraordinary.I wish he would have performed in concert but I dont think he ever has.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/18/20 6:52am

rdhull

avatar

Phase3 said:

"I'm yours"The guitar playing throughout is extraordinary.I wish he would have performed in concert but I dont think he ever has.

We have a winner! And he did play it, at L.A. Live live back in 2009, on that 3 concerts in one night. The rockcentric club concert.

"Climb in my fur."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Most underrated Prince song between 1978-1989 (released only)