independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > SOTT Vault, Part 3 (LP 9 & LP 10) discussion
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 09/24/20 12:15pm

AvocadosMax

The audio issues on Wally are so small, it doesn’t ruin it.

It still sounds damn good. Damn-near the best thing he ever did
[Edited 9/24/20 12:24pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 09/24/20 12:36pm

lustmealways

avatar

there's something i like about being your fool sounds like lean on me. still want to hear the controversy era version though, i imagine it's better.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 09/24/20 12:49pm

databank

avatar

olb99 said:

LoveGalore said:

Schlomo mentioned warble. I cannot hear anything but clear sounds.

.

I really, really hope the MP3 I have is bad, but I really don't see how that problem could be caused by a bad rip or bad MP3 encoding... sad

I find the sound really shitty by comparison to 1999SDE even with the latter @320. I suspect (hope) this mp3 rip we got really is poorly compressed. Typically there are microcuts between tracks on the live show, which shows a hasty work at ripping it.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 09/24/20 12:53pm

lustmealways

avatar

databank said:

I find the sound really shitty by comparison to 1999SDE even with the latter @320. I suspect (hope) this mp3 rip we got really is poorly compressed. Typically there are microcuts between tracks on the live show, which shows a hasty work at ripping it.

i heard that some of the vault tracks are lossy masters (a la velvet kitty cat on purple rain deluxe), this has many implications and could many a variety of things, but i'm enjoying the music too much to put much thought into it right now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 09/24/20 12:54pm

olb99

avatar

databank said:



olb99 said:




LoveGalore said:



Schlomo mentioned warble. I cannot hear anything but clear sounds.



.


I really, really hope the MP3 I have is bad, but I really don't see how that problem could be caused by a bad rip or bad MP3 encoding... sad



I find the sound really shitty by comparison to 1999SDE even with the latter @320. I suspect (hope) this mp3 rip we got really is poorly compressed. Typically there are microcuts between tracks on the live show, which shows a hasty work at ripping it.


.
Yes, but the tape warble I hear is not a typical MP3 compression artifact, so I have a bad feeling about this specific problem.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 09/24/20 1:00pm

imprimis

The tapes have decayed, have had generally to be baked, and modern engineers lack the sensibilities (or have too many digital toys at their disposal) to mix them in a fashion consistent with mid-1980s consumer audio standards.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 09/24/20 2:27pm

goosepumble

Wally definitely has some kind of tape warble deterioration after 1:30.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 09/24/20 2:40pm

lustmealways

avatar

goosepumble said:

Wally definitely has some kind of tape warble deterioration after 1:30.

how come this one fucking song that people have hyped up so much, in a way that would never meet expectations, has to be the one with the most issues. first it's that the #1 version wasn't able to be located on cassette mixdown, now the version they do have has some problems. this song can't catch a break.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 09/24/20 2:44pm

AvocadosMax

lustmealways said:



goosepumble said:


Wally definitely has some kind of tape warble deterioration after 1:30.

how come this one fucking song that people have hyped up so much, in a way that would never meet expectations, has to be the one with the most issues. first it's that the #1 version wasn't able to be located on cassette mixdown, now the version they do have has some problems. this song can't catch a break.


If you ask me, it was an artistic choice made by Prince.

After re-recording a song he destroyed some nights ago, he had to do something else to mess with the tape here or maybe he just intentionally never took care of it
[Edited 9/24/20 14:49pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 09/24/20 3:15pm

TheEnglishGent

avatar

bluegangsta said:

Strange Relationship (1987 Shep Pettibone Club Mix)

Keys at the begining are reminicent of George Michael's Too Funky.

Yeah, I can hear that. I hear Hard Day in there too, so just pulled it up to have a listen and funnily enough, it was the Shep Pettibone remix of Hard Day that I was recalling.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 09/24/20 3:17pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

TheEnglishGent said:

bluegangsta said:

Strange Relationship (1987 Shep Pettibone Club Mix)

Keys at the begining are reminicent of George Michael's Too Funky.

Yeah, I can hear that. I hear Hard Day in there too, so just pulled it up to have a listen and funnily enough, it was the Shep Pettibone remix of Hard Day that I was recalling.


Love that mix. Even though George gave his own attempt at a 'Camille'. lol

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 09/24/20 3:23pm

LoveGalore

I must be deaf. I can't hear any warble on headphones or studio monitors.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 09/24/20 3:30pm

Strive

LoveGalore said:

I must be deaf. I can't hear any warble on headphones or studio monitors.

Maybe it's just my rip. Starts around the 1:40 mark and goes to the 2 minute mark.

"When you deny people the option to not pick a side, you may not like the side they'll pick."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 09/24/20 4:04pm

ElectricThighs

Strive said:



LoveGalore said:


I must be deaf. I can't hear any warble on headphones or studio monitors.


Maybe it's just my rip. Starts around the 1:40 mark and goes to the 2 minute mark.


Not your rip. My CD has it too and it's very obvious.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 09/24/20 4:05pm

lustmealways

avatar

warble is also present on streaming versions. safe to say it's not an issue with anyone's copy, but rather something rotten from the head

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 09/24/20 4:29pm

slyjackson

lustmealways said:

goosepumble said:

Wally definitely has some kind of tape warble deterioration after 1:30.

how come this one fucking song that people have hyped up so much, in a way that would never meet expectations, has to be the one with the most issues. first it's that the #1 version wasn't able to be located on cassette mixdown, now the version they do have has some problems. this song can't catch a break.

Oh no please, the song that I'm most eager about, what a shame.

[Edited 9/24/20 18:03pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 09/24/20 4:38pm

databank

avatar

slyjackson said:

lustmealways said:

how come this one fucking song that people have hyped up so much, in a way that would never meet expectations, has to be the one with the most issues. first it's that the #1 version wasn't able to be located on cassette mixdown, now the version they do have has some problems. this song can't catch a break.

Oh no please, the song that I'm mot eager about, what a shame.

It's very possible there was nothing that could be done about it even with sate of the art tech and the best engineers in the world. It's old tapes. We gotta expect things like this to happen occasionally. I'm prompt to blame Michael Howe for things going wrong when I assume they could have not gone wrong, but this, I guess it ain't the man's fault.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 09/24/20 4:45pm

lustmealways

avatar

there's some parts to Wally that sound... kind of dull compared to some of the punchier aspects of the other tracks. don't know if that makes sense, but the whole thing kind of has an off-kilter vibe about it, including the warble, that makes me wonder if it was sourced from something other than the master.

could just be the fact that the only circulating copy prior to this was so messed up, so they're getting mixed up in my head.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 09/24/20 5:01pm

Strive

databank said:

It's very possible there was nothing that could be done about it even with sate of the art tech and the best engineers in the world. It's old tapes. We gotta expect things like this to happen occasionally. I'm prompt to blame Michael Howe for things going wrong when I assume they could have not gone wrong, but this, I guess it ain't the man's fault.

That damage isn't on the bootleg version from Closer 2 God. It's also missing other elements (I guess it's possible that the leak we have is mono and those sounds are on a different channel, like when Roadhouse Garden leaked, but I don't have headphones to confirm) but it's an interesting thought. That the master is permanently damaged and that the only solid copy is a mixdown cassette floating around.

"When you deny people the option to not pick a side, you may not like the side they'll pick."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 09/24/20 5:01pm

Revolution81

avatar

lustmealways said:

there's some parts to Wally that sound... kind of dull compared to some of the punchier aspects of the other tracks. don't know if that makes sense, but the whole thing kind of has an off-kilter vibe about it, including the warble, that makes me wonder if it was sourced from something other than the master.

could just be the fact that the only circulating copy prior to this was so messed up, so they're getting mixed up in my head.

-

Susan Rogers insinuates thats its from the master tape here

https://prince.org/msg/7/464251

"It was a shocking moment. I've seen the track sheet in the tape box for the new, revised version of Wally and it's my handwriting, but I don't remember redoing it. But I can tell you right now with 100% certainty, that I would have been heartbroken at re-doing what I thought was a stunning and beautiful candid piece of work." She also adds "The revised version is the same melody and basic words but totally different emotional tone."

Like Databank said above, i don't know what people expect from 30+ year outtakes, its not gonna all be pristine crystal clear sound throughout. Even a lot of the stuff he put out at the time had flaws lol

[Edited 9/24/20 17:02pm]

What's the use in half a story, half a dream
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 09/24/20 5:06pm

parker

databank said:



slyjackson said:




lustmealways said:



how come this one fucking song that people have hyped up so much, in a way that would never meet expectations, has to be the one with the most issues. first it's that the #1 version wasn't able to be located on cassette mixdown, now the version they do have has some problems. this song can't catch a break.



Oh no please, the song that I'm mot eager about, what a shame.



It's very possible there was nothing that could be done about it even with sate of the art tech and the best engineers in the world. It's old tapes. We gotta expect things like this to happen occasionally. I'm prompt to blame Michael Howe for things going wrong when I assume they could have not gone wrong, but this, I guess it ain't the man's fault.



Considering at one point in Prince’s life fans literally thought tapes were flaking off, rotted, and the the vault was some sort of forgotten closet, I’m thankful we’ve got what we got.
[Edited 9/24/20 17:07pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 09/24/20 5:11pm

Revolution81

avatar

Strive said:

databank said:

It's very possible there was nothing that could be done about it even with sate of the art tech and the best engineers in the world. It's old tapes. We gotta expect things like this to happen occasionally. I'm prompt to blame Michael Howe for things going wrong when I assume they could have not gone wrong, but this, I guess it ain't the man's fault.

That damage isn't on the bootleg version from Closer 2 God. It's also missing other elements (I guess it's possible that the leak we have is mono and those sounds are on a different channel, like when Roadhouse Garden leaked, but I don't have headphones to confirm) but it's an interesting thought. That the master is permanently damaged and that the only solid copy is a mixdown cassette floating around.

-

That cassette mix down copy that leaked had flaws in other places tho. even in mono u can hear tape chew at the begininga and near the end, and just general tape wear throughout. Not to mention terrible NR probably done to get rid of hiss. I'm certain there will be other cassette sources in existance though, most likely in excellant quality

What's the use in half a story, half a dream
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 09/24/20 5:40pm

databank

avatar

bluegangsta said:

First impressions!

Emotional Pump

Brilliant song for Prince, not for Joni Mitchell. What was he honestly thinking?


I wonder if it could have something to do with. her then last album, Dog Eat Dog. It was produced by Thomas Dolby and filled with synthesizers, drum machines and samples. Admittedly it retains an atmospheric Joni Mitchell vibe, but maybe Prince assumed she wanted to go into a more commercial, contemporary vibe. I mean look at that, it's probably not what Joni fans would have expected a few years earlier :
https://m.youtube.com/wat...mvIxlNiaoY

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 09/24/20 9:05pm

paraded

Somewhat shocked at some of the reservations about Wally's mix. I've listened to it maybe 10 times already, and the goosebumps are still going up on my arms.

Now that I'm putting it under the microscope I sort of get what everyone is saying, but for me to care about it in that way, his guitar solo is going to have to get way way farther through me. I'm still shaking from it. It's up there with I Hate U, maybe even better. He's on exactly the right suspended notes to make me a little scared to move!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 09/24/20 9:37pm

LoveGalore

databank said:

bluegangsta said:

First impressions!

Emotional Pump

Brilliant song for Prince, not for Joni Mitchell. What was he honestly thinking?


I wonder if it could have something to do with. her then last album, Dog Eat Dog. It was produced by Thomas Dolby and filled with synthesizers, drum machines and samples. Admittedly it retains an atmospheric Joni Mitchell vibe, but maybe Prince assumed she wanted to go into a more commercial, contemporary vibe. I mean look at that, it's probably not what Joni fans would have expected a few years earlier :
https://m.youtube.com/wat...mvIxlNiaoY



I think Prince was just that that in touch with other people's aesthetic.

I honestly have no idea why Deborah Allen recorded Telepathy and I can't believe he expected Bonnie Raitt to release Jealous Girl.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 09/24/20 9:46pm

lustmealways

avatar

LoveGalore said:

I think Prince was just that that in touch with other people's aesthetic. I honestly have no idea why Deborah Allen recorded Telepathy and I can't believe he expected Bonnie Raitt to release Jealous Girl.

telepathy is one of my all times fave, lovegalore. it should've been on the set, lovegalore. 101 and baby go-go should've also been on the set, lovegalore.

i hate the "originals" concept

[Edited 9/24/20 21:47pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 09/24/20 10:43pm

olb99

avatar

ElectricThighs said:

Strive said:

Maybe it's just my rip. Starts around the 1:40 mark and goes to the 2 minute mark.

Not your rip. My CD has it too and it's very obvious.

.

This is just what I feared. The tape had problems. They couldn't fix them.

.

I really hope they address this in the liner notes (i.e. what tapes they had, whether they only had the mixdown, etc.). This is a huge problem. I've never heard anything like this on any other official track. And, yes, the song is otherwise fantastic. I absolutely love it. But this is like having a mold stain on your favorite painting...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 09/24/20 11:33pm

fredmagnus

databank said:



slyjackson said:




lustmealways said:



how come this one fucking song that people have hyped up so much, in a way that would never meet expectations, has to be the one with the most issues. first it's that the #1 version wasn't able to be located on cassette mixdown, now the version they do have has some problems. this song can't catch a break.



Oh no please, the song that I'm mot eager about, what a shame.



It's very possible there was nothing that could be done about it even with sate of the art tech and the best engineers in the world. It's old tapes. We gotta expect things like this to happen occasionally. I'm prompt to blame Michael Howe for things going wrong when I assume they could have not gone wrong, but this, I guess it ain't the man's fault.



I love the sound on the whole set but the issue on Wally is very annoying. It's the song I was the most waiting for along with Cosmic Day. If the mixdown tape was damaged, how come they didn't use the multitracks as they did for most of the tracks on Originals ? After the Reverb-gate, here comes the Wally-gate...
[Edited 9/24/20 23:34pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 09/25/20 1:31am

paisleypark4

avatar

The warble of the tape reel is just is what it is. Better than trying to edit it and all that. Leave it as is. Wasn't supposed to come out anyway so be thankful. I'm sure he didnt think twice after he put it up in the vault.
[Edited 9/25/20 2:22am]
Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 09/25/20 3:13am

paisleypark4

avatar

Prince reused some bongos from "I Need A Man" for "Van Gough".
Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > SOTT Vault, Part 3 (LP 9 & LP 10) discussion