independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > SOTT Vault, Part 3 (LP 9 & LP 10) discussion
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 09/28/20 8:32am

olb99

avatar

LoveGalore said:

I wish I could hear this warble. I honestly don't. I've tried. Why does it sound perfectly normal to me?

.

What do you use to listen to your music? Headphones? Speakers?

.

But if it sounds good to you, just enjoy it and don't try to hear imperfections you haven't noticed. That would be masochism. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 09/28/20 9:39am

LoveGalore

olb99 said:

LoveGalore said:

I wish I could hear this warble. I honestly don't. I've tried. Why does it sound perfectly normal to me?

.

What do you use to listen to your music? Headphones? Speakers?

.

But if it sounds good to you, just enjoy it and don't try to hear imperfections you haven't noticed. That would be masochism. lol

Both headphones and speakers! Neither are trash, either. Believe me, I'm good with the ignorance generally speaking - the song sounds better to me now than ever in that I actually like it now. I used to hate it!

But I also experience tons of FOMO so everyone's cryin about warble and I wanna cry too!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 09/28/20 11:45am

fredmagnus

olb99 said:



lavendardrummachine said:


I wasn't a fan of Wally until this release [...] The warble or whatever it is, is on the leak too, I think my brain just treats it like an intentional effect at this point.



.


Do you mean you hear the tape warble on the previously bootlegged version of "Wally"? Because I don't. I've checked the version on "Blast From The Past 4.0". The sound quality is horrible (mono, etc.), of course, but there's definitely no tape warble there. I'm now wondering if a multitrack tape exists for "Wally".



There is no tape warble on the leak version. I'm gonna keep both versions one for the terrible Noise Reduction and compression and the latter for the tape warble sad

There must be a reason why they didn't use the multitracks.
[Edited 9/28/20 11:48am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 09/28/20 11:51am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

fredmagnus said:

olb99 said:

.

Do you mean you hear the tape warble on the previously bootlegged version of "Wally"? Because I don't. I've checked the version on "Blast From The Past 4.0". The sound quality is horrible (mono, etc.), of course, but there's definitely no tape warble there. I'm now wondering if a multitrack tape exists for "Wally".

There is no tape warble on the leak version. I'm gonna keep both versions one for the terrible Noise Reduction and compression and the latter for the tape warble sad There must be a reason why they didn't use the multitracks. [Edited 9/28/20 11:48am]


You're right. Damn. disbelief

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 09/28/20 3:20pm

SpookyPurple

cortez said:

Question about "Rebirth", hopefully this is a good place for it.

The boot version has a slightly different middle where he doesn't say the thing about wife -- but also seemed a little heavier(?) like the beat sounds a bit harder.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what I mean and if it is the mix or just the slightly distorted quality of the bootled that creates that effect

I'm with you - the bootleg just hits harder because the guitars and bass sound more prominent. This official version sounds thinner. And though the tacked on outro is clearly from a different source, I do prefer the sound/mix of the outro portion. Love having a clean version of this song but will prob still listen to the boot now and then.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 09/28/20 3:22pm

SpookyPurple

databank said:

olb99 said:

.

We know that the track was not mixed by Bolas. We know it's missing high frequencies (it's "lossy"). But, you're right, it doesn't mean the outro was not added in 2020 from different sources.

.

Neversin knows the answer. It's a shame he's not here anymore...

I certainly hope they didn't make some frankenstein edit. But why do this if they had a master of it? As for the lossy tracks I still don't understand how this could have happened. I'm baffled.

Regarding the ending of Rebirth, I honestly don't think anyone would have noriced anything odd about it if that was the only version we knew.

Prince was also known for brutal editing at times. Typically Duane assumes that the butcher cut on If The Kid Can't Make You Come is the result of a sloppy, hasty job, but unless an engineers says otherwise I'm pretty sure it was an intentional decision to weird the track out. One can evoke the ending of I Don't Wanna Leave You or the brutal ending of Life Can Be So Nice for similar experiments.

Re: REBIRTH editing, I don't know... Frankly, I expected to be a gross overreaction before I heard it, but definitely via headphones it's just a jarring source shift.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 09/28/20 3:32pm

databank

avatar

SpookyPurple said:

databank said:

I certainly hope they didn't make some frankenstein edit. But why do this if they had a master of it? As for the lossy tracks I still don't understand how this could have happened. I'm baffled.

Regarding the ending of Rebirth, I honestly don't think anyone would have noriced anything odd about it if that was the only version we knew.

Prince was also known for brutal editing at times. Typically Duane assumes that the butcher cut on If The Kid Can't Make You Come is the result of a sloppy, hasty job, but unless an engineers says otherwise I'm pretty sure it was an intentional decision to weird the track out. One can evoke the ending of I Don't Wanna Leave You or the brutal ending of Life Can Be So Nice for similar experiments.

Re: REBIRTH editing, I don't know... Frankly, I expected to be a gross overreaction before I heard it, but definitely via headphones it's just a jarring source shift.

I'll listen more closely. I honestly don't know.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 09/28/20 3:41pm

lustmealways

avatar

someone told me that a clean rip of the full Rebirth (as in the full thing without frankensteining) was leaked today.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 09/28/20 3:51pm

databank

avatar

lustmealways said:

someone told me that a clean rip of the full Rebirth (as in the full thing without frankensteining) was leaked today.

Now that'd be interesting nod

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 09/28/20 3:58pm

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

lustmealways said:

someone told me that a clean rip of the full Rebirth (as in the full thing without frankensteining) was leaked today.



Indeed it has. So how the fuck does the actual Prince estate not have access to this?
"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 09/28/20 4:00pm

lustmealways

avatar

SchlomoThaHomo said:

Indeed it has. So how the fuck does the actual Prince estate not have access to this?

i would say "why haven't any of these people tried to get this material in the hands of the estate" but then i realize that a bunch of people have tried to do that a bunch of times and it never worked so fuck em, right?

[Edited 9/28/20 16:01pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 09/28/20 4:03pm

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

lustmealways said:



SchlomoThaHomo said:


Indeed it has. So how the fuck does the actual Prince estate not have access to this?

i would say "why haven't any of these people tried to get this material in the hands of the estate" but then i realize that a bunch of people have tried to do that a bunch of times and it never worked so fuck em, right?

[Edited 9/28/20 16:01pm]



And also, can we get a new Wally pls? Thanks 😊
"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 09/28/20 5:38pm

parker

Fairly certain this is just somebody tweaking the estate version, boosting some things, and making the volumes and what not sound smoother, it sounds louder, not cleaner or clearer.
[Edited 9/28/20 17:45pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 09/28/20 5:42pm

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

parker said:

Fairly certain this is just somebody tweaking the estate version, boosting some things, and making the volumes and what not sound smoother, it sounds launder, not cleaner or clearer.


Yea I think you’re right. And they took a lil chunk out.
"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 09/28/20 6:34pm

billymeade

avatar

fredmagnus said:

olb99 said:



lavendardrummachine said:


I wasn't a fan of Wally until this release [...] The warble or whatever it is, is on the leak too, I think my brain just treats it like an intentional effect at this point.



.


Do you mean you hear the tape warble on the previously bootlegged version of "Wally"? Because I don't. I've checked the version on "Blast From The Past 4.0". The sound quality is horrible (mono, etc.), of course, but there's definitely no tape warble there. I'm now wondering if a multitrack tape exists for "Wally".



There is no tape warble on the leak version. I'm gonna keep both versions one for the terrible Noise Reduction and compression and the latter for the tape warble :-(

There must be a reason why they didn't use the multitracks.
[Edited 9/28/20 11:48am]


My guess is they did use the actual tape from the vault, and it is damaged. The leak we have is from a copy that was made before the master was damaged. So they had to decide between lowest possible generation or tape copy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 09/28/20 6:36pm

lustmealways

avatar

billymeade said:

My guess is they did use the actual tape from the vault, and it is damaged. The leak we have is from a copy that was made before the master was damaged. So they had to decide between lowest possible generation or tape copy.

this is all fine and dandy, but transparency about that from the estate would be even more fine and dandy

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 09/28/20 7:08pm

databank

avatar

lustmealways said:



billymeade said:


My guess is they did use the actual tape from the vault, and it is damaged. The leak we have is from a copy that was made before the master was damaged. So they had to decide between lowest possible generation or tape copy.

this is all fine and dandy, but transparency about that from the estate would be even more fine and dandy


I've been calling for transparency from day 1 but in this case idk what could be more transparent: this wasn't Bolasmixed and this is not from cassette (or Howe would have said if we're to believe his admission regarding Bold Gen last year), so this is what they found, the mix Prince left behind on a professional format, and if the tape is slightly damaged then that's what we get. For once I don't see a problem there. The lossy tracks I believe would call for an explanation, but here I think we get what we asked for: Prince's mix on a professional format.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 09/28/20 7:09pm

databank

avatar

I mean yeah, Howe could say "sorry guys, tape's damaged". But what would it change in the end?
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 09/28/20 7:29pm

lustmealways

avatar

databank said:

I mean yeah, Howe could say "sorry guys, tape's damaged". But what would it change in the end?

i just want to be angry about something :/

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 09/28/20 7:33pm

lustmealways

avatar

nah honestly i'm not fussed about this one. i think it sounds fine, i mean it's clear there's something wrong but it doesn't really bother me to the point of thinking "this needs to be addressed!" and it's not "wouldn't you love to love me" originals level to the point of "why the fuck did you choose to release this"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 09/28/20 7:39pm

parker

lustmealways said:

nah honestly i'm not fussed about this one. i think it sounds fine, i mean it's clear there's something wrong but it doesn't really bother me to the point of thinking "this needs to be addressed!" and it's not "wouldn't you love to love me" originals level to the point of "why the fuck did you choose to release this"



I hope they released it that quality because they’re keeping a better quality version of that track for a Prince deluxe reissue, it really doesn’t belong on Originals, as that version was never intended for another artist.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 09/28/20 7:39pm

databank

avatar

lustmealways said:



databank said:


I mean yeah, Howe could say "sorry guys, tape's damaged". But what would it change in the end?

i just want to be angry about something :/


lol
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 09/28/20 7:42pm

databank

avatar

parker said:

lustmealways said:

nah honestly i'm not fussed about this one. i think it sounds fine, i mean it's clear there's something wrong but it doesn't really bother me to the point of thinking "this needs to be addressed!" and it's not "wouldn't you love to love me" originals level to the point of "why the fuck did you choose to release this"



I hope they released it that quality because they’re keeping a better quality version of that track for a Prince deluxe reissue, it really doesn’t belong on Originals, as that version was never intended for another artist.

According to Niko, Howe wanted to release the oldest known recording for each track not the one given to the artist. Of course this makes no damn sense given that there's an even older version of that song (that Howe may not have been aware of) and since we got these absurd Frankenstein mixes, but that's what Bolas said.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 09/28/20 7:46pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

SchlomoThaHomo said:

lustmealways said:

someone told me that a clean rip of the full Rebirth (as in the full thing without frankensteining) was leaked today.

Indeed it has. So how the fuck does the actual Prince estate not have access to this?

Howe's downloading the MP3 to send to Bernie for mastering for the next set right now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 09/28/20 8:08pm

parker

databank said:

parker said:



I hope they released it that quality because they’re keeping a better quality version of that track for a Prince deluxe reissue, it really doesn’t belong on Originals, as that version was never intended for another artist.

According to Niko, Howe wanted to release the oldest known recording for each track not the one given to the artist. Of course this makes no damn sense given that there's an even older version of that song (that Howe may not have been aware of) and since we got these absurd Frankenstein mixes, but that's what Bolas said.


I see. Lot of confusing talk about Originals. It’s an oddity to me, they may do another one, but ultimately it was a contractual obligation to Tidal they should probably jettison and start over.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 09/28/20 8:44pm

bluegangsta

avatar

Rebirth Of The Flesh is clearly an amalgamation of two versions - you can hear it as the mix changes, because they've been crossfaded into one another. The biggest giveaway is the EQing on the kick drum drastically changing.

So they've used two mixdowns and given us this.

[Edited 9/29/20 5:00am]

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 09/28/20 8:49pm

databank

avatar

bluegangsta said:

Rebirth Of The Flesh is clearly an amalgamation of two versions - you can hear it as the mix changes, because they've been crossfaded into one another. The biggest giveaway is the EQing on the kick drum drastically changing.

So they've used two mixdowns and given us this.

Ground Fuel filling Equipment” “supply of Consumables

How did u come-up with this Ground Fuel filling Equipment text?? eek eek eek

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 09/28/20 8:50pm

databank

avatar

And how is there text out of the text boxes??!! eek eek eek

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 09/28/20 9:07pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

yeahthat eek However, put me in the category of folks that don't give a flying whatzits about warble, Wally sounds amazeballs n gaw-geous (yes, had 2 use made up words just 2 describe it, it's that bomb lol) music. PS: listen carefully around 4:05 to hear P catch the holy ghost tease.
For all time I am with you, you are with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 09/28/20 9:21pm

lustmealways

avatar

bluegangsta has broken the mainframe

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > SOTT Vault, Part 3 (LP 9 & LP 10) discussion