independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Sign O’ The Times your own configuration
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/10/20 6:52am

slyjackson

Sign O’ The Times your own configuration

I know quite well that for some of you this may seem like a blasphemy but who cares, let’s imagine you are in charge of an alternative SOTT configuration album for a next release. You can choose from all the tracks known so far and of course the ones for the deluxe version. You don’t have to include every song of the original album and it could have up to 20 songs. So how it would look like... here’s mine:


Sign O’ The Times
Play In The Sunshine
Housequake
The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker
Strange Relationship
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Shockadelica
Good Love
Cosmic Day
La,La,La,He,He,He
Big Tall Wall
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
Starfish And Coffee
Forever In My Life
When The Dawn Of The Morning Comes
Walking In Glory
The Cross
Adore

I really think this is a perfect configuration I left out 4 songs which I think are not as good as the ones included in my configuration
[Edited 11/10/20 6:59am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/10/20 7:34am

RODSERLING

slyjackson said:

I know quite well that for some of you this may seem like a blasphemy but who cares, let’s imagine you are in charge of an alternative SOTT configuration album for a next release. You can choose from all the tracks known so far and of course the ones for the deluxe version. You don’t have to include every song of the original album and it could have up to 20 songs. So how it would look like... here’s mine:


Sign O’ The Times
Play In The Sunshine
Housequake
The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker
Strange Relationship
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Shockadelica
Good Love
Cosmic Day
La,La,La,He,He,He
Big Tall Wall
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
Starfish And Coffee
Forever In My Life
When The Dawn Of The Morning Comes
Walking In Glory
The Cross
Adore

I really think this is a perfect configuration I left out 4 songs which I think are not as good as the ones included in my configuration
[Edited 11/10/20 6:59am]


So you made a triple album?
WB would have never accepted that.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/10/20 7:37am

slyjackson

RODSERLING said:

slyjackson said:

I know quite well that for some of you this may seem like a blasphemy but who cares, let’s imagine you are in charge of an alternative SOTT configuration album for a next release. You can choose from all the tracks known so far and of course the ones for the deluxe version. You don’t have to include every song of the original album and it could have up to 20 songs. So how it would look like... here’s mine:


Sign O’ The Times
Play In The Sunshine
Housequake
The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker
Strange Relationship
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Shockadelica
Good Love
Cosmic Day
La,La,La,He,He,He
Big Tall Wall
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
Starfish And Coffee
Forever In My Life
When The Dawn Of The Morning Comes
Walking In Glory
The Cross
Adore

I really think this is a perfect configuration I left out 4 songs which I think are not as good as the ones included in my configuration
[Edited 11/10/20 6:59am]


So you made a triple album?
WB would have never accepted that.
It’s a double album
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/10/20 8:44am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

This thread has been done a few times

But the only way to do this is to make it a 6lp set

The real one was a double, crystal ball was a triple, now you must make it ginormous

Go big or go home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/10/20 8:51am

RODSERLING

slyjackson said:

RODSERLING said:



So you made a triple album?
WB would have never accepted that.
It’s a double album


No, it s a triple LP you just made bro.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/10/20 8:53am

RODSERLING

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

This thread has been done a few times

But the only way to do this is to make it a 6lp set

The real one was a double, crystal ball was a triple, now you must make it ginormous

Go big or go home


I m warning I could go with a quintuple LP
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/10/20 9:07am

slyjackson

RODSERLING said:

slyjackson said:

It’s a double album


No, it s a triple LP you just made bro.

Why
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/10/20 11:46am

LoveGalore

slyjackson said:

RODSERLING said:



No, it s a triple LP you just made bro.

Why


22 mins per side on an lp
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/10/20 12:06pm

RODSERLING

slyjackson said:

RODSERLING said:



No, it s a triple LP you just made bro.

Why


Seriously, you re kidding, right?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/10/20 2:16pm

slyjackson

RODSERLING said:

slyjackson said:
Why
Seriously, you re kidding, right?

No, I'm just used to the CD format so I don't know. I feel my configuration is great though.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/10/20 2:37pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

Prince fan in my configuration is the greatest shocker

Lol
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/11/20 10:03am

Dandroppedadim
e

Just made this 80min CD for my sister... (edits by me*)

ALL MY DREAMS

Prince In Studio (Intro- from Power Fantastic... 25 seconds/shoosh...*)

All My Dreams

There's Something about Being Your Fool

Forever In My Life (Alternate - 5:55 fade*)

It Be's Like That Sometimes

Adonis & Bathseba

The Cocoa Boys

Teacher, Teacher

Witness 4 The Prosecution (Version 2)

In A Large Room With No Light

Train

Wally

Cosmic Day

Emotional Pump

I Need A Man

A Place In Heaven

I Feel For You (Acoustic Demo - 3:28 fade*)

I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man

Sister (Demo #3 A Little Bit of Harmony Guitar Intro...*)

Sister (Demo #2)

[Edited 11/11/20 10:04am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/11/20 1:02pm

slyjackson

Dandroppedadime said:

Just made this 80min CD for my sister... (edits by me*)

ALL MY DREAMS

Prince In Studio (Intro- from Power Fantastic... 25 seconds/shoosh...*)

All My Dreams

There's Something about Being Your Fool

Forever In My Life (Alternate - 5:55 fade*)

It Be's Like That Sometimes

Adonis & Bathseba

The Cocoa Boys

Teacher, Teacher

Witness 4 The Prosecution (Version 2)

In A Large Room With No Light

Train

Wally

Cosmic Day

Emotional Pump

I Need A Man

A Place In Heaven

I Feel For You (Acoustic Demo - 3:28 fade*)

I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man

Sister (Demo #3 A Little Bit of Harmony Guitar Intro...*)

Sister (Demo #2)

[Edited 11/11/20 10:04am]

Those songs have no business here. It's not that bad of a configuration

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/11/20 2:39pm

LoveGalore

slyjackson said:



Dandroppedadime said:


Just made this 80min CD for my sister... (edits by me*)



ALL MY DREAMS



Prince In Studio (Intro- from Power Fantastic... 25 seconds/shoosh...*)


All My Dreams


There's Something about Being Your Fool


Forever In My Life (Alternate - 5:55 fade*)


It Be's Like That Sometimes


Adonis & Bathseba


The Cocoa Boys


Teacher, Teacher


Witness 4 The Prosecution (Version 2)


In A Large Room With No Light


Train


Wally


Cosmic Day


Emotional Pump


I Need A Man


A Place In Heaven


I Feel For You (Acoustic Demo - 3:28 fade*)


I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man


Sister (Demo #3 A Little Bit of Harmony Guitar Intro...*)


Sister (Demo #2)


[Edited 11/11/20 10:04am]



Those songs have no business here. It's not that bad of a configuration



It's ghastly.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/11/20 2:51pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

Ughhhh

I need a man wouldnt even deserve a place on the carmen electra album.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/11/20 2:52pm

LoveGalore

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

Ughhhh

I need a man wouldnt even deserve a place on the carmen electra album.


I can't stand that one or Emotional Pump
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/11/20 2:58pm

slyjackson

LoveGalore said:

slyjackson said:

Those songs have no business here. It's not that bad of a configuration

It's ghastly.

lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/11/20 3:01pm

RODSERLING

slyjackson said:



RODSERLING said:


slyjackson said:
Why

Seriously, you re kidding, right?

No, I'm just used to the CD format so I don't know. I feel my configuration is great though.



And you never wondered why until the 80's, albums were about 40 minutes lenght only? eek
I mean, you never observed that, even for Prince?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/11/20 6:59pm

slyjackson

RODSERLING said:

slyjackson said:

No, I'm just used to the CD format so I don't know. I feel my configuration is great though.

And you never wondered why until the 80's, albums were about 40 minutes lenght only? eek I mean, you never observed that, even for Prince?

Formats are not something I really care about.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/11/20 11:24pm

McD

avatar

Someone posted a link to a lengthy article about SOTT maybe a year ago. The writer suggested the last two tracks were surplus. I agree. I also think perhaps It or Hot Thing should be removed as they both do the same job. Can’t decide which though.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 11/12/20 4:56am

RODSERLING

McD said:

Someone posted a link to a lengthy article about SOTT maybe a year ago. The writer suggested the last two tracks were surplus. I agree. I also think perhaps It or Hot Thing should be removed as they both do the same job. Can’t decide which though.


Adore and Beautiful Night a surplus?
Adore is the most streamed and airplayed song of the album in the US.
It s like you were saying Purple Rain was in surplus of the eponymous album.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/12/20 5:03am

jaawwnn

avatar

lol at anyone who leaves out Beautiful Night, you didn't deserve to see Prince live.

"I think people ought to know that we're anti-fascist, we're anti-violence, we're anti-racist and we're pro-creative. We're against ignorance."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/12/20 1:53pm

slyjackson

RODSERLING said:

McD said:
Someone posted a link to a lengthy article about SOTT maybe a year ago. The writer suggested the last two tracks were surplus. I agree. I also think perhaps It or Hot Thing should be removed as they both do the same job. Can’t decide which though.
Adore and Beautiful Night a surplus? Adore is the most streamed and airplayed song of the album in the US. It s like you were saying Purple Rain was in surplus of the eponymous album.

Beautfiul Night is indeed, Adore is a masterpiece leave it alone.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/12/20 7:39pm

VaultCurator

avatar

All My Dreams

Wonderful Day

Side A:
Visions
All My Dreams
Wonderful Day
Love And Sex

Side B:
Can I Play With U?
Teacher Teacher
In A Large Room With No Light
Sexual Suicide

Side C:
Sign O The Times
Crystal Ball
Power Fantastic

Side D:
Last Heart
Witness 4 The Prosecution
Movie Star
A Place In Heaven
Girl O My Dreams
Can't Stop This Feeling I Got
We Can Funk


Beautiful Night

Side E:
Rebirth Of The Flesh
Cosmic Day
Housequake
Strange Relationship

Side F:
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
Slow Love
Hot Thing
Shockadelica

Side G:
U Got The Look
Forever In My Life
Good Love
If I Was Your Girlfriend

Side H:
Wally
It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night
Crucial

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 11/13/20 6:35pm

slyjackson

VaultCurator said:

All My Dreams

Wonderful Day

Side A:
Visions
All My Dreams
Wonderful Day
Love And Sex

Side B:
Can I Play With U?
Teacher Teacher
In A Large Room With No Light
Sexual Suicide

Side C:
Sign O The Times
Crystal Ball
Power Fantastic

Side D:
Last Heart
Witness 4 The Prosecution
Movie Star
A Place In Heaven
Girl O My Dreams
Can't Stop This Feeling I Got
We Can Funk


Beautiful Night

Side E:
Rebirth Of The Flesh
Cosmic Day
Housequake
Strange Relationship

Side F:
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
Slow Love
Hot Thing
Shockadelica

Side G:
U Got The Look
Forever In My Life
Good Love
If I Was Your Girlfriend

Side H:
Wally
It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night
Crucial

You left out so many great songs like It Be's and Big Tall

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 11/13/20 6:45pm

paraded

The man did an absolutely astounding job selecting and sequencing the album. It's hard to change a single thing and make it anything but worse.

That said, I've always wondered what would happen if he'd substituted his incredibly underappreciated version of Yo Mister in for Strange Relationship. That's about the only thing I'd ever want to hear differently -- and I'm not sure it would be better at all.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 11/13/20 11:05pm

CaseysCousin

I think the album is perfect as is.

I could make a great alternative 16 track album.

Side 1

Rebirth of the Flesh
Cosmic Day
Adonis And Bathsheba
Love and Sex

Side 2

Train
Eggplant
Everybody Wants What They Don't Got
Big Tall Wall
In A Large Room With No Light

Side 3

When The Dawn Of The Morning Comes
Crucial
Witness 1
Walkin In Glory

Side 4

Can I Play With U
A Place In Heaven
All My Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 11/14/20 1:11am

RODSERLING

I don't like Slow Love but it fits well in the album, at the right time
I m trying for days to replace it by another track but I can't.
Prince was really good in making tracklists at that time, despite hundreds of songs he had to place.
He knew right what should be fit in an album, the b-sides, a side project... I think we can't beat it the Prince of 1987.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 11/15/20 12:46pm

slyjackson

paraded said:

The man did an absolutely astounding job selecting and sequencing the album. It's hard to change a single thing and make it anything but worse.

That said, I've always wondered what would happen if he'd substituted his incredibly underappreciated version of Yo Mister in for Strange Relationship. That's about the only thing I'd ever want to hear differently -- and I'm not sure it would be better at all.

I don't agree, he was good at it but far from astounding

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 11/15/20 7:54pm

paraded

slyjackson said:

paraded said:

The man did an absolutely astounding job selecting and sequencing the album. It's hard to change a single thing and make it anything but worse.

That said, I've always wondered what would happen if he'd substituted his incredibly underappreciated version of Yo Mister in for Strange Relationship. That's about the only thing I'd ever want to hear differently -- and I'm not sure it would be better at all.

I don't agree, he was good at it but far from astounding

All I know is that, after probably about 400-500 listens, SOTT as we have it sequenced still gives me chills. To craft an 80 minute journey that does that consistently is astounding to me, and a credit to not only his musical talent, but also his sense of authorship, of how each piece matters in the whole.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Sign O’ The Times your own configuration