independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Why wasn’t Thunder a single?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/12/20 7:24pm

Monarch

avatar

Why wasn’t Thunder a single?

In my best AVGN voice WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!!?? The concert video is cool but he coulda done something like the Continental video with it.
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/12/20 8:34pm

rednblue

It was the last D+P single released in the UK.

There are lots of naysayers when it come to Thunder. It's odd to me, as some of the criticisms people have for Thunder (simple/beneath him/juvenile/etc.) are frequently heard about other songs. But, for some reason, Thunder seems to bug people more than other songs similarly characterized. Maybe all that thunder gets people fired up, whatever their opinions. : )

I'm one of those who loves the song. All through the night, let's hear Thunder!

Have you seen this Joffrey Ballet Thunder performance?

Thunder starts at 16:10 and goes through to 27:00.

Now I get to be the naysayer, 'cause I'm not too crazy about the first part of the dance. But I do like it much better as it gets further along, and it's cool to hear what happens with the dance music that combines with the song themes to extend the Thunder dance to nearly 11 minutes.

https://vimeo.com/331697405

[Edited 12/12/20 21:12pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/12/20 10:46pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

It's a bit theatrical
He seemed to get into a lot of theatrical, sub operatic, pompous rock stuff in the 90s.
Some of it was good, some was fun but a bit too grandiose lol
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/12/20 11:19pm

SimonCharles

avatar

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

It's a bit theatrical He seemed to get into a lot of theatrical, sub operatic, pompous rock stuff in the 90s. Some of it was good, some was fun but a bit too grandiose lol

...and Thunder falls into the promises much, says nothing category - for me, at least. After the more complex good vs evil struggle of Lovesexy, these are the meanderings of a religiously adolescent mind - again, for me. This song also promises a rip-roaring guitar solo, and one never materialises...for me.

[Edited 12/12/20 23:19pm]

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/13/20 1:50am

Phase3

Awesome song and a fantastic album opener in my opinion.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/13/20 2:33am

antonb

it was a single

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/13/20 2:46am

NouveauDance

avatar

Monarch said:

the Continental

Speaking of songs that should've been commercially released singles.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/13/20 2:53am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

SimonCharles said:



funkbabyandthebabysitters said:


It's a bit theatrical He seemed to get into a lot of theatrical, sub operatic, pompous rock stuff in the 90s. Some of it was good, some was fun but a bit too grandiose lol

...and Thunder falls into the promises much, says nothing category - for me, at least. After the more complex good vs evil struggle of Lovesexy, these are the meanderings of a religiously adolescent mind - again, for me. This song also promises a rip-roaring guitar solo, and one never materialises...for me.

[Edited 12/12/20 23:19pm]



Yeah it's not philosophically that interesting.
Lovesexy just became a trope for him after 88.
Thunder would he better if it was a big blowout.
I think he just made it as he wanted a big opening song for the album and tour.
3 chains of gold was also silly but fun in this campy sort of style.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/13/20 4:47am

SimonCharles

avatar

NouveauDance said:

Monarch said:

the Continental

Speaking of songs that should've been commercially released singles.

Oh, me - yes, indeed.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/13/20 4:49am

SimonCharles

avatar

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

SimonCharles said:

...and Thunder falls into the promises much, says nothing category - for me, at least. After the more complex good vs evil struggle of Lovesexy, these are the meanderings of a religiously adolescent mind - again, for me. This song also promises a rip-roaring guitar solo, and one never materialises...for me.

[Edited 12/12/20 23:19pm]

Yeah it's not philosophically that interesting. Lovesexy just became a trope for him after 88. Thunder would he better if it was a big blowout. I think he just made it as he wanted a big opening song for the album and tour. 3 chains of gold was also silly but fun in this campy sort of style.

The idea lost nuance and became both happy and clappy. - 3 Chains of Gold is the prog-pastiche the world needed - magnificent fun...The Darkness must have taken inspiration from this.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/13/20 5:08am

RODSERLING

It was of course a single, the sixth of Diamonds and Pearls : it peaked at #3 in Ireland, #28 in the UK.
It wasnt technically even the last single of D&P, since Sexy MF/Strollin' was a double A-side single, with Strollin'even getting a music video.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/13/20 7:32am

rednblue

SimonCharles said:

NouveauDance said:

Speaking of songs that should've been commercially released singles.

Oh, me - yes, indeed.


YES! I third this Continental motion.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/13/20 7:49am

ufoclub

avatar

rednblue said:

SimonCharles said:

Oh, me - yes, indeed.


YES! I third this Continental motion.

I'm in that minority I guess that doesn't like The Continental... except for the telephone rap dialoge part. That part is fun to my ears, the mix and arrangment and beat all work at that point.

The main part of the song just seems to generic pop to me, ironically like a Roxette song or something.

Ironic because they had a hit single with "The Look" well after "U got the Look" hit lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/13/20 8:44am

rednblue

ufoclub said:

rednblue said:


YES! I third this Continental motion.

I'm in that minority I guess that doesn't like The Continental... except for the telephone rap dialoge part. That part is fun to my ears, the mix and arrangment and beat all work at that point.

The main part of the song just seems to generic pop to me, ironically like a Roxette song or something.

Ironic because they had a hit single with "The Look" well after "U got the Look" hit lol


Well, how about lyrics? Does Roxette want all ur germs? : )

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/13/20 10:46am

MattyJam

avatar

Thunder is embarassing. I was embarassed for him when I was 10.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/13/20 12:09pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Compared to the rest of the record, "Thunder" sounds like it was recorded & mastered inside an old Folgers can after my grandma used it to hold bacon grease for 7 years. It's thin, tinny, ear-piercing; dogs are howling when it plays. It's corny as fuck.

"He said your leader take me to, t'was like thundaahh." What kind of fuckery is this?

Girl, I hate to say it, "***** please!"

It's only marginally better in a live setting. It ranks on the level of "Wedding Feast," "Arrogance," or "Purple and Gold." In other words, we can do without it.

But least Tony M. isn't on it.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/13/20 12:51pm

Phase3

Some of you need to drink more of that purple koolaid if you think the song Thunder isn't good.Its one of the best songs off the D&P album
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/13/20 12:52pm

Phase3

Some of you need to drink more of that purple koolaid if you think the song Thunder isn't good.Its one of the best songs off the D&P album
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/13/20 1:38pm

Dalia11

Agree! One of the many fabulous songs from "Diamonds and Pearls".
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/13/20 1:57pm

Pellwormer

I do have this picture Disc on 12" Vinyl:

Prince & The New Powe... | Discogs

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/13/20 2:25pm

PURPLEIZED3121

as stated it was , I have a numbered oicture disk.

Always thought it should have been the opening track on Graffiti Bridge...sounds like it was from those sessions?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/13/20 3:23pm

lurker316

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Compared to the rest of the record, "Thunder" sounds like it was recorded & mastered inside an old Folgers can after my grandma used it to hold bacon grease for 7 years. It's thin, tinny, ear-piercing; dogs are howling when it plays. It's corny as fuck.


I agree. Plus, its sound didn't fit the rest of the album. All of the other songs have a more organic feel, sounding like a full band with live drums, other people on backup vocals, etc. In contrast, Thunder sounded like the one-man-band performance it was. Not that a one-mand-band performances are necessarily bad -- it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the album.


 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/13/20 4:00pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

lurker316 said:

TrivialPursuit said:

Compared to the rest of the record, "Thunder" sounds like it was recorded & mastered inside an old Folgers can after my grandma used it to hold bacon grease for 7 years. It's thin, tinny, ear-piercing; dogs are howling when it plays. It's corny as fuck.


I agree. Plus, its sound didn't fit the rest of the album. All of the other songs have a more organic feel, sounding like a full band with live drums, other people on backup vocals, etc. In contrast, Thunder sounded like the one-man-band performance it was. Not that a one-mand-band performances are necessarily bad -- it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the album.


Yep. I was gonna go the one-man-band route, but wanted to expound differently. But that's pretty much the long and short of it. The band had such a rich sound with D&P onward because those were band albums, and something like "Thunder" stands out like a sore thumb. There's nothing cohesive with the other songs.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/13/20 4:37pm

ufoclub

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

lurker316 said:


I agree. Plus, its sound didn't fit the rest of the album. All of the other songs have a more organic feel, sounding like a full band with live drums, other people on backup vocals, etc. In contrast, Thunder sounded like the one-man-band performance it was. Not that a one-mand-band performances are necessarily bad -- it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the album.


Yep. I was gonna go the one-man-band route, but wanted to expound differently. But that's pretty much the long and short of it. The band had such a rich sound with D&P onward because those were band albums, and something like "Thunder" stands out like a sore thumb. There's nothing cohesive with the other songs.

I can remember when I first put on the CD (my first CD purchase?) I thought Thunder sounded interesting and like a new sound for Prince, much like I though that when I first heard SOTT. The bizarre tone of the guitar and synths and the deep bass and the wood block hits seemed fresh... and then those woodblock hits seemed to flow intot he sound of Daddy Pop with the bells. I thought that 1,2 punch was pretty good back then. I have to say the train stopped with Strollin.

Years later a friend pointed out that Thunder vocal melody is very similar to the vocal melody of "When Doves Cry". Just alternate the lyrics in your mind. "Thunder, all through the night..." "Maybe I'm just like my mother... she's never satisfied"

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/13/20 7:38pm

jfenster

My only issue is levis guitar playing....should've been prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/13/20 8:10pm

Monarch

avatar

Ok so technically it was a single. I guess my rant is why did this thing not get a video & promotion. MTV would have turned it into another song of the year.
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 12/13/20 8:21pm

datdude

rednblue said:

It was the last D+P single released in the UK.

There are lots of naysayers when it come to Thunder. It's odd to me, as some of the criticisms people have for Thunder (simple/beneath him/juvenile/etc.) are frequently heard about other songs. But, for some reason, Thunder seems to bug people more than other songs similarly characterized. Maybe all that thunder gets people fired up, whatever their opinions. : )

I'm one of those who loves the song. All through the night, let's hear Thunder!

Have you seen this Joffrey Ballet Thunder performance?

Thunder starts at 16:10 and goes through to 27:00.

Now I get to be the naysayer, 'cause I'm not too crazy about the first part of the dance. But I do like it much better as it gets further along, and it's cool to hear what happens with the dance music that combines with the song themes to extend the Thunder dance to nearly 11 minutes.

https://vimeo.com/331697405

[Edited 12/12/20 21:12pm]

a big portion of prince's fans, at least here, are God haters and struggle with his spiritual content mightily. some are able to name it and own it, others dismiss it and others still are in denial of where their animus about such songs comes from. but yeah, the Joffrey KILLED with Thunder as an opener! Gave me even greater appreciation for it. it's "theatrics" translated well with that medium!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 12/13/20 9:45pm

Pellwormer

Monarch said:

Ok so technically it was a single. I guess my rant is why did this thing not get a video & promotion. MTV would have turned it into another song of the year.

Oh....there were a lot of singles without a video...also protegées without a video for Singles....like Sheila E' selftitlet album....only Koo Koo with a video ?

That is a pity....because Prince made ...later....videos for music....which then doesn't were released....18 or over, Zanalee, Empty room...etc

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 12/14/20 4:02am

RODSERLING

Monarch said:

Ok so technically it was a single. I guess my rant is why did this thing not get a video & promotion. MTV would have turned it into another song of the year.



IIRC, there is a live music video on the D&P vhs/dvd. Don't if it was really used for the promotion where it was released/promoted.
There is a radio edit of 3:20 for the song, so it must have been played on radio.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 12/14/20 4:43am

embmmusic

avatar

Pellwormer said:

I do have this picture Disc on 12" Vinyl:

Prince & The New Powe... | Discogs

I've got a copy of that framed on my wall. Really nice looking shot of the band.

Check out The Collector's Guide to Prince on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/p...4ldzxwlEuy
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Why wasn’t Thunder a single?